Echo 330 review?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
As mentioned in other threads, I do what I do one-handed, and I've been looking at top-handle saws for ease of control.

I got to play with a Stihl MS192 and it was easy to maneuver and start.

Also tried an Echo 330 off the shelf at HD; easy to maneuver but pull-starter seemed difficult to pull smoothly 1-handed, felt like flywheel was actually eccentric?

Are my impressions correct? Any other opinions on the Echo?

Echo a pretty good saw for the money, but for a fair comparisons I would try the echo 360t its more in line with the 192t. you ar correct though!

Keep in mind that I have to set the thing on the ground and put a foot on it to pull the starter, so the clunky pull on the Echo made it a no-go compared to the Stihl.

didn't really think about that when you posted in the other thread. How, exactly, do you start it? On the ground, with a foot on top of the handle, then yank with left hand? Good thing most saws are left handed start, too.

Exactly right. Makes a good case for saw maintenance, because pulling it 50 times if it doesn't want to start just isn't gonna happen.

bluedogz said:
Keep in mind that I have to set the thing on the ground and put a foot on it to pull the starter, so the clunky pull on the Echo made it a no-go compared to the Stihl.

I think your going to feel that in the 360t model to. That 192t is really hard to beat for weight, price and durability range of use. I was looking for a good small uilty saw, I went through a ms 180 260 pro, 361 pro. Sold all three of them with in a couple months of using them. Bought the 192t and been running it a year now. If a saw doesnt do what I was looking for I sell quick.

I totally agree with Jay, the 192T is my primary saw for working around the wood pile. I've processed around 22 cords this year and the light weight, ease of starting, and ease of use make the 192 my first choice for when a spit, or even rounds under six inches or so are a little to long. I've tried the Echo 330 and 360 and between the three saws I went with the 192, it just "felt" better.

sgt7546 said:
I totally agree with Jay, the 192T is my primary saw for working around the wood pile. I've processed around 22 cords this year and the light weight, ease of starting, and ease of use make the 192 my first choice for when a spit, or even rounds under six inches or so are a little to long. I've tried the Echo 330 and 360 and between the three saws I went with the 192, it just "felt" better.

On the quest to save more money (fuel) my size round are more in the 8 inch and like you keeping it close to splitter on even much bigger stuff. Didnt realizes how well this thing is until there is well less than a quart of fuel left! Anyone who cuts with me can back me up on that...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.