1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Echo 530?

Post in 'The Gear' started by lazeedan, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazeedan

lazeedan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    I've been thinking of buying a better saw for the last year or so. I currently have poulan pro. I stopped in an echo dealer with a friend today. The next thing I know they let me demo the 530. It's a new model 50 cc 20 inch bar.I brought it home and tried it out on some 34-37 inch red oak. I ran the whole tank out. I probably cut 3x the amount of wood with one tank. I was very impressed.So how do these compare with Stihl. I was planning on getting a stihl but now I don't know. I'm not trying to start a riot. I know everyone has there preferences. I just want to know what I might be missing. The Echo is 400 + tax. Any thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. buildingmaint

buildingmaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    I have never seen a Professional using an Echo , see lots of Husky's and Stihl's . Did not see one on the History Channels show AX man . If some one who uses saws every day don't have them , what does that tell you ?
  3. sl7vk

sl7vk New Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I think Echo makes a nice product. Low maintenance, quality build, made in Japan.... Some people have complained about power to weight ratio's and the lack of stated horsepower on their engines..... I don't know..... At 400 bucks I went with the Dolmar, but I think that you'll be more then happy with the Echo, and you'll get 15 good years of use with it if you take care of it.

Oh, and where I live, I see quite a few tree trimming services using Echo. Stihl and Husky dominate, but Echo is present around here.
  4. WOODBUTCHER

WOODBUTCHER Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pomfret, CT
    If you have a Dolmar dealer near you, I'd check out the 5100s.

5100s
    $399.99
    3.1 ci.
    50.7 cc.
    14,500 rpm
    3.9 hp.
    11.2 lb. powerhead

WoodButcher
  5. lazeedan

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll check into Dolmar. I have to return the echo tomorrow. I ran another tank of gas out this evening and it is a joy to cut with. I may end up buying the echo tomorrow if the dolmar or something else doesn't change my mind.

Thanks
    Dan
  6. sl7vk

sl7vk New Member

Loc:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Sounds to me like an easy choice. If the saw was a joy to cut with on 34-37" oak, then why not pull the trigger..... Then again compared to the pull-on..... :)

See if any of the Dolmar dealers near you have a demo 5100 S just so you can compare. I absolutely love my 5100 S. Just cut down a 100' Ponderosa pine with the little 5100 and it was a pleasure.... Now hauling and splitting.... another story.

Sounds like your Echo dealer is pretty cool though, maybe see if he'll throw in a free chain or two and get the Echo.
  7. lazeedan

Loc:
    SW Michigan
    I bought the Echo Thursday. It creates alot of work fast. Thanks for everyones thoughts.

Thanks
    Dan
  8. budman

budman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Valley Cottage,NY
    Dan,I have had my Echo for 27 years now and still runs like new.
    I love this saw and allways starts on second pull.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.