Echo 530?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lazeedan

Feeling the Heat
Dec 14, 2006
SW Michigan
I've been thinking of buying a better saw for the last year or so. I currently have poulan pro. I stopped in an echo dealer with a friend today. The next thing I know they let me demo the 530. It's a new model 50 cc 20 inch bar.I brought it home and tried it out on some 34-37 inch red oak. I ran the whole tank out. I probably cut 3x the amount of wood with one tank. I was very impressed.So how do these compare with Stihl. I was planning on getting a stihl but now I don't know. I'm not trying to start a riot. I know everyone has there preferences. I just want to know what I might be missing. The Echo is 400 + tax. Any thoughts?

I have never seen a Professional using an Echo , see lots of Husky's and Stihl's . Did not see one on the History Channels show AX man . If some one who uses saws every day don't have them , what does that tell you ?

lazeedan said:
I've been thinking of buying a better saw for the last year or so. I currently have poulan pro. I stopped in an echo dealer with a friend today. The next thing I know they let me demo the 530. It's a new model 50 cc 20 inch bar.I brought it home and tried it out on some 34-37 inch red oak. I ran the whole tank out. I probably cut 3x the amount of wood with one tank. I was very impressed.So how do these compare with Stihl. I was planning on getting a stihl but now I don't know. I'm not trying to start a riot. I know everyone has there preferences. I just want to know what I might be missing. The Echo is 400 + tax. Any thoughts?

I think Echo makes a nice product. Low maintenance, quality build, made in Japan.... Some people have complained about power to weight ratio's and the lack of stated horsepower on their engines..... I don't know..... At 400 bucks I went with the Dolmar, but I think that you'll be more then happy with the Echo, and you'll get 15 good years of use with it if you take care of it.

Oh, and where I live, I see quite a few tree trimming services using Echo. Stihl and Husky dominate, but Echo is present around here.

If you have a Dolmar dealer near you, I'd check out the 5100s.

5100s
$399.99
3.1 ci.
50.7 cc.
14,500 rpm
3.9 hp.
11.2 lb. powerhead

WoodButcher

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check into Dolmar. I have to return the echo tomorrow. I ran another tank of gas out this evening and it is a joy to cut with. I may end up buying the echo tomorrow if the dolmar or something else doesn't change my mind.

Thanks
Dan

lazeedan said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'll check into Dolmar. I have to return the echo tomorrow. I ran another tank of gas out this evening and it is a joy to cut with. I may end up buying the echo tomorrow if the dolmar or something else doesn't change my mind.

Thanks
Dan

Sounds to me like an easy choice. If the saw was a joy to cut with on 34-37" oak, then why not pull the trigger..... Then again compared to the pull-on..... :)

See if any of the Dolmar dealers near you have a demo 5100 S just so you can compare. I absolutely love my 5100 S. Just cut down a 100' Ponderosa pine with the little 5100 and it was a pleasure.... Now hauling and splitting.... another story.

Sounds like your Echo dealer is pretty cool though, maybe see if he'll throw in a free chain or two and get the Echo.

I bought the Echo Thursday. It creates alot of work fast. Thanks for everyones thoughts.

Thanks
Dan

Dan,I have had my Echo for 27 years now and still runs like new.
I love this saw and allways starts on second pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.