Echo 590 vs. Dolmar 510

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

branchburner

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
southern NH
My beloved 6421 was mortally wounded in a tragic chainsaw accident (the chainsaw receiving the damage rather than giving it, so I do count my blessings) involving saw vs, falling tree. I'd rather not recount the details of my stupidity, so on to the meat of the thread...

This was basically a $600 saw that I got used at HD for half that. None of the local HD rental desks have had any saws come up for some time, and my most recent craigslist "find" turned out to be a dog, so I'm looking for an actual NEW new saw, but not $600 new.

Thinking of sticking w/ Dolmar but downsizing to 50cc with the 510 (Makita DCS-5121) that I could still run w/ a 20" bar if needed. But also thinking of sticking w/ 60cc and going with the Echo CS-590 Timber Wolf that comes w/ a 20" bar. Both seem to have good reviews and are of pro quality, and either of these can be ordered from HD and net down to around $365.

I am a bit worried about some folks having problems w/ Echo out of the box, or shortly after, and being told by Echo to take a hike since they bought the saw at a box store rather than a dealer. But the extra 10cc seems like a nice bonus for short money.

Any thoughts on these two, or other suggestions, are welcome!

(BTW, the Husky 350 in my sig is semi-retired, as it has ongoing problems, but my little Echos run fine for small work.)

I have the CS590, bought it at a dealer for the same price as Home Depot; that dealer upgraded my bar to a 20" Oregon Pro Match and put a full chisel chain on for free.

Haven't had a single issue with the saw, starts up in 3 pulls from cold every time, one pull when it's hot. When I first got it I had some starting issues... just had to get the routine down- they were my fault. All good now.

Can't speak about the Dolmar.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff_t
I have a 510 with an 18 bar and I honestly don't know if I'd want to run a 20 on it, that's just me thou. If I were gonna run a 20 I'd go with the 590

I'd look at the 5105 over the 510, but that's probably a little more money.

I haven't heard much of anything bad about the Echo, but yeah, I would buy it from a dealer if you don't work on your own saws.

I've been half heartedly trying to sell my 6401, if you're interested.

If I had the cash I'd take it

I have a couple CS590 saws, great saws but they come with a really clogged up muff mostly just in the outlet baffle which is a quick fix. Plus I always pull the limiter caps grind the tabs off on a bench grinder and reinstall so I can tune them right, some come lean and some tuned good but saws need to be tuned for the gas you use(hopefully no craplola) and the temperature when running it, more gas when cold and less when hot. I just ordered another CS590 from Zoro yesterday for $302 free shipping and no tax. Zoro has 30% off but that deal is gone today. These saws really cut with tuning and opening up the muff . Steve

Thanks Steve, and welcome to the forums! Was that 30% just a one-time coupon code found online?

Thanks for the welcome, I checked this morning and the 30% was gone. They could have sold a lot of saws at that price. Steve

Local dealer is doing 20% off all Echo this week so I'm seriously thinking about getting a CS-590. $320 is hard to pass up.

Reactions: drz1050
Neighbor has an Echo from the 1980's. The thing is a hoss that refuses to quit. Sometimes it refuses to start too. But finally does.

Reactions: TreePointer
At that price I'd be tempted to buy a second one

I ended up with a CS-590 with a 24" bar and a CS-310 for a bit over $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.