Echo Bear Cat splitter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rearscreen

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2014
Vermont
So I borrow this splitter from a relative that "borrowed" it many years ago. It fit in my pick up then I slung it and lifted it out gently with the Kabota and put it on the ground ever so gently. I fired it up in the horizontal position and ran about 6 12" logs through it to get a feel for it's performance. Typically I rent a Timberwolf. I load, what will be my last log and next thing I know, it tips at the log end, engine oil gets in the intake spewing white smoke to the point it was hard for me to even find the shut off lever. Fun time. I looked in the attached tube for instructions but they were gone.
I look on line and the tow point of the Timberwolf is under the splitting area where the support leg is. On the Echo it's on the opposite side so, unless it's hitched, it will tip with a big enough log or I am just overlooking something obvious. Am I doing something wrong?

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Most splitters that can be converted to vertical (eg. Speeco) have that hitch opposite the splitting area. Yes, this leaves the possibility that you could tip it with a really big log, but it’s designed to go vertical for the big’uns. They’re usually intentionally heavy on tongue weight, to help prevent tipping with middle-weight rounds.

Looks like the axle is too far forward, or the beam and splitter are too far back. Never heard of that before. Guess you'll have to keep it hitched, or go vertical on the big rounds, or weigh down the tongue somehow.

Sink a ball hitch on a piece of all-thread in a 5 gal bucket of concrete. That’ll hold it.

you could add a fold up foot/wheel adjustable for height . that is what i have on my unit as the orginal support isn't worth a ..... when you have big heavy rounds.