Echo CS 450 starting issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman

Feb 18, 2010
St. Louis
I have a Echo CS 450 that earlier this year (June) it started shutting off and wouldn't restart. So two weeks ago I was on vacation and tied to cut some wood. Well, it ran for about 20 minutes and went back to doing what it was doing. I took it to a local shop, the place that I bought it from and told them what was going on. Of course they'll have a look and give me a call. Two weeks go by and I call them. "oh yeah" they said, "we finished it yesterday and I was going to call you today." Sure...

I pick it up and get home and get ready to start some processing. It gives me a little trouble starting, but it did. I forgot my hearing protection inside, so I set the idling saw on the ground and run inside to get my muffs. I come out and the saw died. I tried and tried but it wouldn't start. I go back to the shop and they ask about my gas. It is brand new, today(with proper Echo mixture)! They take the saw in back and low and behold it fires right up. He said they dumped out my gas and put theirs in. I'm just thinking this is ridicules. I tried to get this saw going but it wasn't working and it fires right up for them?! What is going on? Ok, I will let you know if I have issues", I said.

I get home and guess what happens. It doesn't start, now using their gas. I call them back and he says he cannot help me over the phone(no kidding?) but I am bringing it back tomorrow morning.
I have had this saw for about 1.5-2 years and have cut 7+ cords of wood. Do I all the sudden not know how to start a saw that I have spent hours next to? Could humidity be playing a part in this, which it shouldn't, right? The last 3 times I've tried to fire it has been when its about 80+ degrees and humid.
He claims the gas could be the issue, I have had the exact same gas(no matter how old) in my SRM 225 and have had zero issues. I do understand they probably are different creatures that come from the same mother.
Any ideas? I'd like to be able to talk to them and trouble shoot with ideas of what it could be.

Carb issues? - debris/varnish in screen or ports, too lean on L mix, air leak at gaskets. CS 450 uses a rare carb - Walbro WT-901A but it's very similar to others.

I always use ethanol free gas in small engines. You can get a quart of premix at big box stores but ~$25/gal. Or check for stations near you...http://pure-gas.org/

They had cleaned out the carb and replaced the spark plug. So, I don't know.
Or check for stations near you...http://pure-gas.org/
Damn, living in a metro area. None of those stations are close, in MO or IL.

Did the saw shop try to restart it when it was hot?

Does it only have this starting problem when hot? If so, it may be set too lean to get proper mix when hot. Try turning out (richening) the LOW carb screw 1/16 to 1/8 turn.

first off newer Echo saws have a 5 year consumer warranty. I have a CS670, It is a cold blooded B**CH. When its cold I have to pull the choke and pull till it pops off (5-8 pulls). Then hold it wide open and pull it 1 more time. It has never failed. I was going to play with the carb this weekend to see if I can get rid of the cold nature. As far as the gas that sounds like crap to me. I run whatever is at the pump, and I use mobile 2 stroke oil in the gallon (probably for boats). When you go back in demand to witness what they are doing. Also be cautious what you change/take apart. You don't want to end up in a "you messed with it so no warranty" kind of situation. I had this with B/S on my mower.

I got it back today. They said they couldn't replicate my problem. The took me out back and it fired up. They questioned my starting procedure, restart procedure, fueling. I told them I have had no problems cutting 7 plus cords and just recently has it been acting the pain.
Originally, the saw starting quitting on me mid cut, then would be hard if not impossible to start. Now, after I got it back from them the second time(this is the 3rd) it wouldn't start period. I will do some cutting today and see how it works when it warms. It certainly sounds like it is running better than the time that I had it running for 30 seconds.
If it gives me fits, I will be contacting Echo on this, maybe a different shop.

Another Echo shop may do the trick. Not all small engine mechanics can properly tune a 2-cycle engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.