1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Echo CS 4500 potential buy

Post in 'The Gear' started by Xikar, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Xikar

Xikar Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Good morning fellas,

Guy at work has his old neighbor's saw up for sale and is asking $75. I can probably get him down on that. The saw is an older Echo CS 4500 and I cannot seem to find much info out there on it. I tried it out and I will say it cut like a champ and ran beautifully! My only gripe is the manual oiler it has. Other than that it seems like a solid saw. Worth the cash or should I save it towards my Stihl ms 362 buy? At the moment the only saw I'm rocking is an Echo CS400 that I picked up a couple years back. Works great for smaller stuff but I need more power otherwise.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

If you need a bigger saw, that one isn't it. Too close to the one you have. But if you can get it for say $50 or so, then you have a backup/future loaner......

If money is tight, pass it up. If you want saws, bring it home. :)
    MasterMech likes this.
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Old tech, not much bigger than whatcha gots already. If you're collecting, you wouldn't have asked us for permission.... ;) My vote? Pass.

Go for that 362!
  4. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Save for the bigger saw.
  5. Xikar

Xikar Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the input fellas. I decided to pass on the saw although it did seem to outrun my cs 400. I just have to scrounge up a few hundred more to get the Stihl. I was talking to my old man about it and he mentioned he had a saw I could use. We dug through one of his tool cabinets and sure enough he whips out a 20 year old Husky 281xp that looks like it's been through hell and back twice. Started right up and it sounds like an animal of a saw. I just need to get a new bar and chain for it.
  6. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I'm waiting for the day that while discussing saws and firewood somebody reaches into a dark corner, pulls out a monster saw for me and says "here's a saw you can use!"

Actually it has happened to me a few times but instead of an old 066 or say.... a 288XP, it's a 40 cc Craftsman from 1994 with the gas cap swelled in tight, the bar shaped like a butter knife, and the vinyl fuel lines hardened to where they have nearly as much flex in them as steel hydraulic lines.
    clemsonfor likes this.