Echo CS-500P 18" chain recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeburn

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
USA
Picked up a like new Echo CS-500P with 18" bar for under $200 at a local pawn shop. How did I do? The bar doesn't even have wear on it. I really don't think it was use more than to start it.

Real question is what chain would you recommend for this saw? Oregon is on it, but I've only used Stihl before. Looking for full chisel and a decent price for more than one chain and something that will hold the edge like a stihl chain seems to.

Awesome score, run with the Oregon.

Any local shop that will make loops from a roll of chain. Best bang for the buck.

...something that will hold the edge like a stihl chain seems to.

That would be Stihl chain.

RS = full chisel (yellow)
RS3 = full chisel, low kickback (green)

Find a shop that has a buy-one-get-one-half-price or buy-two-get-one-free deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigg_Redd
If you want Oregon full chisel chain in .325 pitch, that would be LPX. If you find a dealer with an old roll of LP chain (no "X") then that will not have the bumper drive link.

Both are good Oregon chains for that pitch, but you might notice you'll have to sharpen them sooner than your Stihl chains. Some don't notice.

Sorry forgot to update. I ended up having some Stihl chains made at my local dealer for $20/each. Best I could find

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Status
Not open for further replies.