Echo CS-590 questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VAfarmer38

Aug 31, 2015
Central VA
I've had this saw for a little over a year and have little to no complaints about it. I use it for cutting firewood and clearing trees around the farm occasionally. I have read about some carb adjustments, removing the limiters and a muffler mod that will really help the saw out a lot. The last thing I want to do is jack my saw up but if anyone can add any pointers on whether or not to do this (pros vs cons) and what I should/shouldn't do it would be greatly appreciated.

I did a similar thing with an old Stihl farm boss. I didn't notice much of a difference. So then I bought a pro saw. That was night and day different :)

the main thing is if you do the muffler mod, make sure you adjust your high rev screw, it will likely need to come out about 1/4-1/2 of a turn. you want the saw to 4 stroke when you're opening it wide open. you don't want it to wind out and sound like it's still climbing, that is a lean condition.

Reactions: VAfarmer38
the main thing is if you do the muffler mod, make sure you adjust your high rev screw, it will likely need to come out about 1/4-1/2 of a turn. you want the saw to 4 stroke when you're opening it wide open. you don't want it to wind out and sound like it's still climbing, that is a lean condition.
Exactly. I did that as well. It didn't provide any noticeable difference for me. I sold it shortly thereafter, but have always wondered about the reliability after doing that. It also made it quite a bit louder.

I've had this saw for a little over a year and have little to no complaints about it. I use it for cutting firewood and clearing trees around the farm occasionally. I have read about some carb adjustments, removing the limiters and a muffler mod that will really help the saw out a lot. The last thing I want to do is jack my saw up but if anyone can add any pointers on whether or not to do this (pros vs cons) and what I should/shouldn't do it would be greatly appreciated.
Modding will usually make very little difference in an older two stroke. This is especially true if it doesn't have a catalyst muffler.
Newer EPA restricted engines will develop quite a bit more power, if it is done right.
I have modified many and the difference is very noticeable. Just be sure you remove the carb. limiters and adjust the carb to "four stroke" (burble) out of cut but not while in the cut.
I consider most warranties to be worthless because there are MANY ways they will be denied! They are worded to protect manufacturer not the consumer.
Just realize this if the saw is still under "warranty"

Modding will usually make very little difference in an older two stroke. This is especially true if it doesn't have a catalyst muffler.
Newer EPA restricted engines will develop quite a bit more power, if it is done right.
I have modified many and the difference is very noticeable. Just be sure you remove the carb. limiters and adjust the carb to "four stroke" (burble) out of cut but not while in the cut.
I consider most warranties to be worthless because there are MANY ways they will be denied! They are worded to protect manufacturer not the consumer.
Just realize that modding will likely void any "warranty"

Reactions: VAfarmer38

I didn't gut mine like this, I just cut the 180* ( baffle ) out of the end and left the screen also. I did turn the screw out 1/4 turn, and it was probably just coincidence that it wouldn't idle after that. I took it it back to where I bought it, fingers crossed and played dumb. They adjusted the carb and put a new plug and fuel filter in it. I ran it for about 1.5 hours yesterday and it ran good. I hadn't run it in a while prior to yesterday but I did run the MS 290 I got free last weekend and it definitely runs way better than that. And it sounds better also

Last edited:
Not sure if they make stuff for Echo but I put a dual port modified muffler front cover on my Stihl 064 and it made a huge difference. It was only $18 or $19 off ebay and you could switch it back and forth in case you need to. It was made by Hyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.