Echo cs 590 vs Stihl ms 291 or Stihl ms 311

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have had my 271 for a couple of years now and have done nothing but keeping the chain sharp and the bar clean and the saw has been great. You can get one now for under $400 with a 16" bar. For the cost of a 291 however, I would spend a little more and go for a 261cm

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. The 271 is a 50cc ranch saw, the 291 is ~ 55cc also a ranch saw, $410 and $470 respectively with 18" bars. The 261 is a Pro grade 50cc saw, with 18" bar its $730. Don't get me wrong, I've always been a Stihl guy but in my eyes an equivalent to the Echo 590 would be the MS 362 which sets me back $740 American. I work hard for my money, as I'm sure you do also so if I can get a Pro grade 59cc saw with 5 yr warranty for $399 instead of $740 I'll take it every time. Just my humble .02. Time will tell if I made a good choice

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Last I cheked, Echo 590 is a farm and ranch 60 cc saw so the 291 is a more appropriate comparison. An MS 361 it is NOT!

I stand corrected, I was thinking of the mag vs plastic case

The Echo CS-590 is the best value around right now.

Quite a few of my friends have Stihl 290's. All will run, are extremely heavy, bulky and almost always have real dull chains. People who know no better buy Stihl.

MS261's are very good, but then again, how much more money for a saw that is still less displacement?

Reactions: D8Chumley
People who know no better buy Stihl.
Yeah, you're right. The bull rider's association sponsoring Echo chainsaws surely knows better than the overwhelming majority of pro fellers and arborists who rely solely on Stihl saws for their livelihood.

I still struggle to understand why Echo thinks Professional Bull Riders are a valid sole endorsement for their chainsaws. Maybe they just assume manly men know manly things, like chainsaws?

I'm not down on Echo saws, as I've owned a few, and they were reliable saws. But I won't pretend they're on par with Stihl pro saws, either.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Quite a few of my friends have Stihl 290's. All will run, are extremely heavy, bulky and almost always have real dull chains.

Heavy a bulky compared to what? An Echo? Rilly?

Also, FWIW, the new 291 Farm Boss is a full pound lighter than the 290 which puts it on par with any similar displacement pro saw.

Also, not sure what a dull chain has to do with the MS290. I'm pretty sure if those same friends had Echos they'd be dull too.

Yeah, you're right. The bull rider's association sponsoring Echo chainsaws surely knows better than the overwhelming majority of pro fellers and arborists who rely solely on Stihl saws for their livelihood.

I still struggle to understand why Echo thinks Professional Bull Riders are a valid sole endorsement for their chainsaws. Maybe they just assume manly men know manly things, like chainsaws?

I'm not down on Echo saws, as I've owned a few, and they were reliable saws. But I won't pretend they're on par with Stihl pro saws, either.

Of course the Echo saws aren't comparable to the Pro line Stihls. The comparison here is a $399 Echo compared with more expensive Stihls that aren't of any better build quality and are less displacement. For the money, the CS-590 is a bargain and that was the point.

Reactions: Ashful
Heavy a bulky compared to what? An Echo? Rilly?

Also, FWIW, the new 291 Farm Boss is a full pound lighter than the 290 which puts it on par with any similar displacement pro saw.

Also, not sure what a dull chain has to do with the MS290. I'm pretty sure if those same friends had Echos they'd be dull too.

The "bulky/heavy" comment was comparing the MS290's to what I run. Granted it is not a fair comparison, but so what. Would you compare a ported 346XP to a MS290 favorably?

Anybody that runs dull chain will run dull chain on any saw they own. I am probably a little more serious than most regarding keeping chains in good working order.

Here is my set up. The one on the left is for rakers, the middle for .325 and the right for 3/8ths and .404

s1t3sy.jpg

2v8lobo.jpg

Never know what you have to make or fix.

14ctafb.jpg

If you look at the CS-590 Brochure....http://www.echo-usa.com/getattachment/90d6a91c-df0b-410c-b029-52b0a7e4b831/CS-590 Timber Wolf.pdf

It compares the 590 to the 290, 291 and the Husqvarna 455. It does have a few different features.I would like to run one to check it out.
I have a friend that runs a 500P. His chains are always dull and the gas is usually crappy and it just sits while I cut so I cannot compare to someone that takes care of their saw.

I assume this is the 590?

Last edited:
I bought a 590 last year. So far I have cut about 10 cords with it. This is not a PRO saw, but it is a the best value for the market segment. I have used all three saws Stihl 290, Husqvarna 455 and Echo 590. The Echo is on par with the Stihl and blows the 455 out of the water.

Reactions: Ashful
The "bulky/heavy" comment was comparing the MS290's to what I run. Granted it is not a fair comparison, but so what. Would you compare a ported 346XP to a MS290 favorably?

So we agree: the MS290 has no more bulk nor heft than any other non-pro saw from any other manufacturer

Right now I'd love a 346, but I already have a big boy saw. If I didn't have a saw and it's my money on the table I take a 290 over a 346xp every day

dont listen to people that havent owned or ran a certain saw, i have a 039 super 029 super,[8-10 years old] anew 455 rancher xtra tourq a 460 husky thats over price dog the 455 will do anything the 460 will do, but the 590 echo is FAR NICER FASTER EASY TO START,CUTS FAST AND FOR 399.99 ITS THE BEST DEAL ON EARTH AND HAS 5 YEAR WARRENTY, IM PRO EXCAVATION COMPANY BUT DO A LOT OF LOGGING THIS TIME OF YEAR, do your self a favor buy the 590, stihl [was my favoret way back when] but the johnsred 2260 -same as husky 562 will out cut the 590, i ran the johnsred 2260 but by half a second, and it way 675, the husky on sale 679-689, stihl has fallen behind,i have an echo 680 24inch, 2-cs 400 [hardley use them] the little cs 400 will suprise you,and remember echo has 5 year warrenty life time on ignition,i paid 595 after dealing on the 680, the cs 400 are 299,so know you heard from somone who runs them daily not just guessing from what they think, and echo will talk to you direct from factory on phone,i have a lot of nice old husky i bought in 1988, 272-61-268, but dont run them anymore,

That is one heck of a run-on sentence sir, but I agree with what you say somewhat. I still like my Stihls but after about 1.5 hrs cutting with the 590 I am pleased so far. I am curious how much better she will run after a few tanks of fuel through her. Can you say about how many until she's giving 100%? I figure 5-10 tanks maybe? And welcome aboard!

Firewood Bandit.
That is quite the impressive chain sharpening setup. I got the Northern Tool $100 model and it does the trick somewhat. I am thinking of taking the Northern $100 model back for something from Oregon like the 511. Sharpen the dozen chains I have for the 3 saws and in 2 years I've got it paid for.

I have am in the market to replace my Echo CS 300. That saw has been my workhorse for a good 20 years. it has paid its dues.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Firewood Bandit.
That is quite the impressive chain sharpening setup. I got the Northern Tool $100 model and it does the trick somewhat. I am thinking of taking the Northern $100 model back for something from Oregon like the 511. Sharpen the dozen chains I have for the 3 saws and in 2 years I've got it paid for.

I have am in the market to replace my Echo CS 300. That saw has been my workhorse for a good 20 years. it has paid its dues.

Thanks for the kind words.

The company that makes most grinders including Oregon is an Italian company called Tecomec. The only difference between 511AX and the Norther Tool is the quality of the vise and they way they clamp the chain. The inexpensive one has a cam that clamps in one place, the 511AX clamps several drivers. Both clamp from the bottom of the chain which allows the cutter to move slightly while securing. The Silvey has a pawl that is very simple, it catches on the rear corner of the cutter and you pull backwards on the chain with your left hand and this action forces the cutter down into the rail and it does NOT MOVE.

So we agree: the MS290 has no more bulk nor heft than any other non-pro saw from any other manufacturer

Right now I'd love a 346, but I already have a big boy saw. If I didn't have a saw and it's my money on the table I take a 290 over a 346xp every day

Well I just checked Stihl's website. I can't get a price on the MS290 due to being discontinued. But the MS291 with the same sized bar is $40 less than I paid for a Husky 550XPG, (heated handles version). Now for $40 less would you buy a clamshell when you could get a lighter saw with the same power and heated handles?

FWIW, the 346XP may be a better limbing saw than the 550XPG, with slightly less power in bucking.

Well I just checked Stihl's website. I can't get a price on the MS290 due to being discontinued. But the MS291 with the same sized bar is $40 less than I paid for a Husky 550XPG, (heated handles version). Now for $40 less would you buy a clamshell when you could get a lighter saw with the same power and heated handles?

FWIW, the 346XP may be a better limbing saw than the 550XPG, with slightly less power in bucking.

I know this is difficult for you Husqy guys, but, try to stay on point

I made this exact decision about 12 years ago - a pro 50cc saw for $500, or a 56.6cc MS290 for $360? This was not a difficult choice back then and wouldn't be today, either. The fact that the 291 is $100 more than the the 290 was complicates the decision. The MS290 was the most reliable tool I've ever owned.

I know this is difficult for you Husqy guys, but, try to stay on point

I made this exact decision about 12 years ago - a pro 50cc saw for $500, or a 56.6cc MS290 for $360? This was not a difficult choice back then and wouldn't be today, either. The fact that the 291 is $100 more than the the 290 was complicates the decision. The MS290 was the most reliable tool I've ever owned.

OK, trying to stay on point.

I don't see why you are talking about MS290's due to Stihl's website says they are no longer available. Talking about what you bought 12 years ago is an exercise in futility. FWIW, bought a Stihl 028 Super in 1991 and it was about $325 and that is equally irrelevant.

According to the price quote this morning a 18" bar on a MS291 is $489. I paid $529 for a 550XPG.

So a pro line, heated handle saw is $40 more than a clamshell. Doesn't seem like much of a choice does it?

An Echo CS-590 is still the best value for the money.

Does a $50-$100 difference really going to influence anyone's decision an a saw? Heck, that's barely the price of a decent meal and a couple of pints.

Does a $50-$100 difference really going to influence anyone's decision an a saw? Heck, that's barely the price of a decent meal and a couple of pints.

I agree, you don't see me buying cheap saws, or overly expensive ones either, errr Stihls.==c

Reactions: Minnesota Marty

Sure it does. That's why they sell them for all different cost points.

I don't see why you are talking about MS290's due to Stihl's website says they are no longer available.

Good point. I dunno if I brought that up or not.

Talking about what you bought 12 years ago is an exercise in futility. FWIW, bought a Stihl 028 Super in 1991 and it was about $325 and that is equally irrelevant.

No it isn't. I'm defending the honor of Stihl's clam shell engines. You look askance at them, I say they are as reliable and durable as anything on the market.

So a pro line, heated handle saw is $40 more than a clamshell. Doesn't seem like much of a choice does it?

See? Your clam shell obsession is showing again. You can keep your heated handles. "My hands sure do get cold when I run a chainsaw" said no one ever.

An Echo CS-590 is still the best value for the money.

That very well may be. I have no complaints about my 360T.

Reactions: T-roy_
Bigg Redd,

Once you try heated handles you won't buy another saw without them.;)

My dealer now sells 80% of the Husky XP's , ( "G" model) with heated handles. The professional loggers around here sure like them, but then what would they know when they have a saw in their hands every day regardless of weather.