Echo CS400 Bar runs hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2009
New England / S. NH
Hello,

I just noticed my three year old Echo CS400 18" bar is very hot. (Too hot to touch after a few minutes of cutting.) Oiling, if anything is more than enough. (It used to consume a tank of oil every two tanks of gas, now uses a bit more. I've tweeked the oiling after seeing a small bit of oil in the case after it sat idle...)

The chain is not too tight. Lifting it pulls up 6-7 links that don't quite clear the bar, so a bit lose if anything... I did notice a bit of oil in the track on the tips, when I just checked. It cuts straight. It has been flipped periodically. If anything the grove may be worn 'extra wide'. (I haven't measured, but wondering if a bar regrind is in my future...)

The chain is relatively new. I lube the sprocket periodically, but not always... The bar is too hot to touch in the middle portion. I have a new spare bar in the case. (To prevent having to walk home leaving a 'pinched saw' stuck in a tree...) I may swap it but want to make sure I don't mess that one up... I did run with an old chain a while. A couple broken teeth, but it cut ok, and I was doing clean-up work not worthy of a new chain.

What else should I check before trying the new bar?

Thank in advance.

They can get hot very hot.......This can come down to very hardwood and a less than perfect sharpe chain. I have had them hot enough to boil oil.(thats to hot)

Thanks for the speedy reply. Guess I never noticed before... I'll just sharpen the chain and keep cutting. ;-)

Just one more vote for "that's normal"

Maybe you usually have gloves on and never noticed it before?

another vote from me as that's normal.

I will point up the chain with a file on refuel and top off the oil if needed, and the bar is hot to touch always!

Not a cause for alarm.

Smart to have the spare bar. Keep it new until the other one blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.