echo or husqy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Husqvarna guy, have found their stuff easy to start, powerful and durable. Not much experience with Echo, but whichever way you go, get it from a dealer, not a big box. Not only will the local dealer help you decide which one would be best, but will provide support if anything should go wrong down the road.

You sure about a 365? cant remember that number?

Maybe it was a 366 can't remember. My dealer said the two saws are comparable in hp, the echo was $569 and the husqy was $699. I know I could find them cheaper, but my dealer lives a half mile away, and has given me great service over the years.

gregoolman said:
Maybe it was a 366 can't remember. My dealer said the two saws are comparable in hp, the echo was $569 and the husqy was $699. I know I could find them cheaper, but my dealer lives a half mile away, and has given me great service over the years.

Should be a 357 and at that price look at the 372 as well another 100.00 bucks but its the ONE! :cheese:

Husky 357XP 56.6cc 4.4HP 12.1lbs $720
Husky 365 65.1cc 4.6HP 13lbs $590
Husky 372XP 70.7cc 5.3HP 13.4lbs $830
Husky 570 67.9cc 4.9HP 14.55lbs $600
Echo CS-600P 59.8cc 13lbs $560-590
Echo CS-680 66.8cc 14.5lbs $620-640

Any would be a good choice IMO.Better to be 'a little big' then not have enough grunt a few months later.

Thistle said:
Husky 357XP 56.6cc 4.4HP 12.1lbs $720
Husky 365 65.1cc 4.6HP 13lbs $590
Husky 372XP 70.7cc 5.3HP 13.4lbs $830
Husky 570 67.9cc 4.9HP 14.55lbs $600
Echo CS-600P 59.8cc 13lbs $560-590
Echo CS-680 66.8cc 14.5lbs $620-640

Any would be a good choice IMO. Better to be 'a little big' then not have enough grunt a few months later.

Agreed. After cutting 2 cord with my new saw I will never go back to anything that can't run a 24" bar.

I think you are right, I bought a 450 2 months ago and now it's not big enough. Someone gave us 12 acres of green ash to cut so maybe I better get the 276, just don't know how I will get this bought with out my wife finding out.

gregoolman said:
just don't know how I will get this bought with out my wife finding out.

The first one is the hardest. After that, just bring 'em on home. As long as they're all the same color (orange), she won't be able to tell one from the other. Just keep them separated by about 100' at all times and you're golden.

Battenkiller said:
gregoolman said:
just don't know how I will get this bought with out my wife finding out.

The first one is the hardest. After that, just bring 'em on home. As long as they're all the same color (orange), she won't be able to tell one from the other. Just keep them separated by about 100' at all times and you're golden.

Great advice. If your wife is particularly observant just make sure you get the new one dirty before you bring it home. Perhaps a quick swap with a used bar will be sufficient.

"Just powerwashed it honey, doesn't it look great"
"it sounds different because I'm running premium gas now"

I haven't heard or read much about that Echo, so no help there. Folks seem to be pretty happy with the smaller Echos.... BUT if 50cc is already too small then 60cc would likely be too small as well. A 24" bar will run on 60cc for the odd big trunk, but not really for regular use. 365 should pull a 24" bar a little better for you. You won't save $150 or even $1 if the Echo can't handle what you need it to.
My advice= Decide now whether you're gonna run 2 saws or not. It will really depend on the wood. Lots of big yard or fencerow trees with tons of limbs are more suited to 2 saws. Woodlots of tall straight-trunked trees make it easier to stick with 1 saw. Your mileage may vary, but:
If 2 saws then a 50cc and 70-80cc would be my choice.
If 1 only then I'd choose a 60-70cc pro saw with a great power/weight ratio.

Did I miss something, or did Redd just tell us what saw he purchased? Either way, he's right about the suggestion.

S

thinkxingu said:
Did I miss something, or did Redd just tell us what saw he purchased? Either way, he's right about the suggestion.

S
LoL, think so!

Love my Husky, but there is a 5 year warranty on the Echo, vs 2 on the Husqvarna. May make your list of important features.

mywaynow said:
Love my Husky, but there is a 5 year warranty on the Echo, vs 2 on the Husqvarna. May make your list of important features.

I hear ya.Looking to get a power pruner in the next year or two,hopefully sooner if finances cooperate.Am strongly leaning towards Echo for that very reason.Price of it & comparable Husky or Stihl are pretty close.My little 280E is a gutsy little saw,first saw I owned & used on a regular basis.Almost 31yrs old now,parents got it for me as early Xmas/late HS grad present.Used it tons when climbing/pruning years ago.Still runs great,though less RPM's than same size newer saw.

Danno77 said:
thinkxingu said:

S
LoL, think so!

650.00 FOR A 59CC SAW....I would keeper on the dl to! ;-)

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
thinkxingu said:

S
LoL, think so!

My used 288XP even with full wrap handle cost way less than that! ;-P

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
thinkxingu said:

S
LoL, think so!

My used 288XP even with full wrap handle cost way less than that! ;-P

Only thing that throws me off a litte is big redd and a pro 59cc would be running at-least a 47 inch bar Full Skipper! ;-)

Ok, I am new to wood cutting, and I thought the 450 would be plenty, but so far most of the wood I get is from the tree dump and a lot of it is big trunks. My dealer said that a 366 or a 600 is all I need, but as others have said bigger is always better. So when would big be big enough? Thanks so far for all of the advice.

gregoolman said:
So when would big be big enough? Thanks so far for all of the advice.
Different for everyone, but to me, when bucking-up a trunk into rounds, a saw that'll pull a bar & chain slightly more than half the trunk size is big enough. So an 18" bar would take you up to about a 34" diameter trunk. A 24" bar for up to a 45" trunk... Of course you CAN cut a trunk larger than twice the bar length, it's just harder & slower.

Oh and 50-55cc is the most popular sized saw for firewood. In your case it sounds like you'd have to pass-up a lot of wood with a 50cc saw, but it's your call whether you'd be better off to have a bigger saw or to just leave the real biggies to someone else.

midwestcoast said:
gregoolman said:
So when would big be big enough? Thanks so far for all of the advice.
Different for everyone, but to me, when bucking-up a trunk into rounds, a saw that'll pull a bar & chain slightly more than half the trunk size is big enough. So an 18" bar would take you up to about a 34" diameter trunk. A 24" bar for up to a 45" trunk... Of course you CAN cut a trunk larger than twice the bar length, it's just harder & slower.

Oh and 50-55cc is the most popular sized saw for firewood. In your case it sounds like you'd have to pass-up a lot of wood with a 50cc saw, but it's your call whether you'd be better off to have a bigger saw or to just leave the real biggies to someone else.

Cutting up a 36" Doug Fir with a 20" bar saw was the last straw for me. Can it be done? Yes. Is it a serious pain in the @$$? Also yes.

gregoolman said:
I am looking to buy a echo 600 or should I step up to a 365? $150 price increase. Any advice? thanks

Are both of those echos or does your dealer have a husqvarna 365? If he does, buy it over the echo, if he doesn't, spend that money on a stihl, husqvarna, jonsered or dolmar.

HittinSteel said:
gregoolman said:
I am looking to buy a echo 600 or should I step up to a 365? $150 price increase. Any advice? thanks

Are both of those echos or does your dealer have a husqvarna 365? If he does, buy it over the echo, if he doesn't, spend that money on a stihl, husqvarna, jonsered or dolmar.

+1 . . . Echos are probably Ok saws . . . for a home owner who wants to prune a tree or take down a small tree in the yard once every other year . . . the other saws listed are better for the person who is cutting firewood for their woodstove . . . or for the professional logger . . . depending of course on the model.

Status
Not open for further replies.