echo or husqy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bigg_Redd said:
midwestcoast said:
gregoolman said:
So when would big be big enough? Thanks so far for all of the advice.
Different for everyone, but to me, when bucking-up a trunk into rounds, a saw that'll pull a bar & chain slightly more than half the trunk size is big enough. So an 18" bar would take you up to about a 34" diameter trunk. A 24" bar for up to a 45" trunk... Of course you CAN cut a trunk larger than twice the bar length, it's just harder & slower.

Oh and 50-55cc is the most popular sized saw for firewood. In your case it sounds like you'd have to pass-up a lot of wood with a 50cc saw, but it's your call whether you'd be better off to have a bigger saw or to just leave the real biggies to someone else.

Cutting up a 36" Doug Fir with a 20" bar saw was the last straw for me. Can it be done? Yes. Is it a serious pain in the @$$? Also yes.

:cheese:

Bigg_Redd said:
thinkxingu said:
Did I miss something, or did Redd just tell us what saw he purchased? Either way, he's right about the suggestion.

S

I did not buy a 362

BR got a 440!!

gregoolman said:
Ok, I am new to wood cutting, and I thought the 450 would be plenty, but so far most of the wood I get is from the tree dump and a lot of it is big trunks. My dealer said that a 366 or a 600 is all I need, but as others have said bigger is always better. So when would big be big enough? Thanks so far for all of the advice.

I'm the wrong person to be answering your question (see my signature) but I will say if you are going to be cutting firewood for many years to come, buy the biggest Pro saw you can comfortably afford. If you can swing it, there is a reason everyone who owns a 372 loves them.

wendell said:
Bigg_Redd said:
thinkxingu said:
Did I miss something, or did Redd just tell us what saw he purchased? Either way, he's right about the suggestion.

S

I did not buy a 362

BR got a 440!!
Prolly found a 361.

Probably but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. ;-)

firefighterjake said:
HittinSteel said:
gregoolman said:
I am looking to buy a echo 600 or should I step up to a 365? $150 price increase. Any advice? thanks

Are both of those echos or does your dealer have a husqvarna 365? If he does, buy it over the echo, if he doesn't, spend that money on a stihl, husqvarna, jonsered or dolmar.

+1 . . . Echos are probably Ok saws . . . for a home owner who wants to prune a tree or take down a small tree in the yard once every other year . . . the other saws listed are better for the person who is cutting firewood for their woodstove . . . or for the professional logger . . . depending of course on the model.

Actually the Echo stacks up quite well in longevity and reliability compared to a Husky or other Pro saw. The difference is the anti-vibration and weight are not as good as a pro-level saw. I have a Friend who cuts with an Echo and has for more than 10 years.

TMonter said:
firefighterjake said:
HittinSteel said:
gregoolman said:
I am looking to buy a echo 600 or should I step up to a 365? $150 price increase. Any advice? thanks

Are both of those echos or does your dealer have a husqvarna 365? If he does, buy it over the echo, if he doesn't, spend that money on a stihl, husqvarna, jonsered or dolmar.

+1 . . . Echos are probably Ok saws . . . for a home owner who wants to prune a tree or take down a small tree in the yard once every other year . . . the other saws listed are better for the person who is cutting firewood for their woodstove . . . or for the professional logger . . . depending of course on the model.

Actually the Echo stacks up quite well in longevity and reliability compared to a Husky or other Pro saw. The difference is the anti-vibration and weight are not as good as a pro-level saw. I have a Friend who cuts with an Echo and has for more than 10 years.

I have a very good friend pro climber only uses echo and same saws for a very long time. ( They call him Cowboy) Should call him monkey even at 50+ years old. Not what I would want heavy bucking though.

The only thing I can comment about is the little 280E. It's an older top-handled saw, which is my primary climber.

Yeah, it getting up there in age, but if I run it for a couple of minutes on the ground; let it "warm-up" sort of speak; it'll start on the first pull ALL THE TIME. Kinda important when you free climb a tree; or even when you use spikes and a rope. You don't want to be yanking a rope 30+ feet up, and cussing after the 3rd pull ;-)

Look at my sig., it's MOSTLY older saw that I try and keep in top condition - ready to run in a moments notice.
Granted, I do have a couple of "other" saw that I could use, if the dung hits the fan; but they're 60+ miles away.

PJF1313 said:
The only thing I can comment about is the little 280E. It's an older top-handled saw, which is my primary climber.

Yeah, it getting up there in age, but if I run it for a couple of minutes on the ground; let it "warm-up" sort of speak; it'll start on the first pull ALL THE TIME. Kinda important when you free climb a tree; or even when you use spikes and a rope. You don't want to be yanking a rope 30+ feet up, and cussing after the 3rd pull ;-)

I have that same saw,its almost 30 yrs old now & it still runs great.First saw I owned or used,was early HS Grad/Xmas gift from parents.Tough little saw,as you already know.Used it all the time when climbing/pruning years ago,I'm not quite as agile now so dont climb near as much. ;-P But if it ever quits,gonna pick the closest new Echo I can find as its replacement.

I have decided to get a 70cc chainsaw, hopefully it will be big enough, turns out the local farm store started selling sthil and just 3 miles away there is a dolmar dealer. So other than 30 some years ago my father had a echo 500 that seamed to be a great saw, I have no other long term experience. Any advice? thanks

gregoolman said:
I have decided to get a 70cc chainsaw, hopefully it will be big enough, turns out the local farm store started selling sthil and just 3 miles away there is a dolmar dealer. So other than 30 some years ago my father had a echo 500 that seamed to be a great saw, I have no other long term experience. Any advice? thanks

If you want an orange saw get a Husqvarna

If you want a red saw get a Dolmar

If you want the best saw get a Stihl

If you want the most power at the lowest price, get a Dolmar.
If you want the best handling saw get a Husqvarna.
If you want the heaviest and most expensive saw, buy a Stihl.

wendell said:

Best handling? You taking corners on that thing? WTF?

Bigg_Redd said:
wendell said:

I was wondering the same thing. Is this on pavement or gravel? :lol:

Bigg_Redd said:
wendell said:

I'm sure since you only cut God's firewood, the limbs all leap off when the tree hits the ground and the trunk always assumes perfect bucking position. Here in the real world, we are reaching, bending and turning the saw to make our cuts so how a saw handles is important. That's why I own saws that handle better and cut faster. Doesn't seem like that hard of a concept to me. Sorry it is a WTF for you.

I don't know anything about dolmars, but handling, in my exeperience, is more a factor of size and model than it is of brand. is a saw of similar power smaller when it's a husqy?

stee6043 said:
Battenkiller said:
gregoolman said:
just don't know how I will get this bought with out my wife finding out.

The first one is the hardest. After that, just bring 'em on home. As long as they're all the same color (orange), she won't be able to tell one from the other. Just keep them separated by about 100' at all times and you're golden.

Great advice. If your wife is particularly observant just make sure you get the new one dirty before you bring it home. Perhaps a quick swap with a used bar will be sufficient.

"Just powerwashed it honey, doesn't it look great"
"it sounds different because I'm running premium gas now"

You buggers....we wives use those same "tricks" with clothing, handbags, shoes and jewelry :lol: ....just an FYI.. :coolsmirk:
No honey this isn't new....its old...you just don't remember it...

Husqvarnas of the same displacement tend to be lighter and also have better weight distribution.

wendell said:
Husqvarnas of the same displacement tend to be lighter and also have better weight distribution.

I hope they're lighter. It'd be a shame if they had all that extra plastic for nothing.

Bigg_Redd said:
wendell said:

I hope they're lighter. It'd be a shame if they had all that extra plastic for nothing.

:)

MofoG23 said:
Bigg_Redd said:
wendell said:

Ahhh I love my saws, but there more to an awesome saw than stihl........

GAMMA RAY said:
No honey this isn't new....its old...you just don't remember it...

You know what I get? "What are you talking about, honey? You gave this to me last Christmas." Now if that don't shut me up, nothing will.

smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:
Bigg_Redd said:
wendell said:

Of course, but the Ford vs Chevy (Stihl vs Husky) battles are always fun to watch....

MofoG23 said:
smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:
Bigg_Redd said:
wendell said:

Of course, but the Ford vs Chevy (Stihl vs Husky) battles are always fun to watch....

Not, If your a chevy fan and you already seen the fords 1/4 mile times.... :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.