echo or husqy?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:
smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:
Bigg_Redd said:
wendell" date="1311015986 said:
Husqvarnas of the same displacement tend to be lighter and also have better weight distribution.

I hope they're lighter. It'd be a shame if they had all that extra plastic for nothing.

:)

Ahhh I love my saws, but there more to an awesome saw than stihl........

Of course, but the Ford vs Chevy (Stihl vs Husky) battles are always fun to watch....

Not, If your a chevy fan and you already seen the fords 1/4 mile times....(wendells) :cheese:

;-) Like I've said it dont matter who has what saw - what matters is what saw works best for YOU,that it kicks ass & makes your work easier.Every person is different & has different needs/uses. You get a certain saw (or any other tool for that matter) you can get possessive & dont want to loan that out to anyone,not even family! :coolgrin:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:
smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:
Bigg_Redd" date="1311017372 said:
Husqvarnas of the same displacement tend to be lighter and also have better weight distribution.

I hope they're lighter. It'd be a shame if they had all that extra plastic for nothing.

Of course, but the Ford vs Chevy (Stihl vs Husky) battles are always fun to watch....

Not, If your a chevy fan and you already seen the fords 1/4 mile times....(wendells) :cheese:

;-) Like I've said it dont matter who has what saw - what matters is what saw works best for YOU,that it kicks ass & makes your work easier.Every person is different & has different needs/uses. You get a certain saw (or any other tool for that matter) you can get possessive & dont want to loan that out to anyone,not even family! :coolgrin:

I got some milling work to do can I use your 288? .... :cheese: ;-)

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
MofoG23 said:
smokinjay said:
MofoG23" date="1311023908 said:
Bigg_Redd" date="1311017372 said:

I got some milling work to do can I use your 288? .... :cheese: ;-)

LOL sorry.Not even for a 36 pack of that Boxer beer (Still havent found it locally yet) But I'm sure you'd feel the same about your 880. :coolgrin:

okay, the sthil 441 magnum and the husqy 372xp are the same price. Dolmer has a 80cc saw at a $100 dollars more. Echo has a 80cc saw $30 cheaper than the sthil and husqy. The sthil dealer had a 441 magnum 1 year old that he would sell $200 cheaper, I am leaning towards the used saw since they are supposed to last forever, any thoughts?

gregoolman said:
okay, the sthil 441 magnum and the husqy 372xp are the same price. Dolmer has a 80cc saw at a $100 dollars more. Echo has a 80cc saw $30 cheaper than the sthil and husqy. The sthil dealer had a 441 magnum 1 year old that he would sell $200 cheaper, I am leaning towards the used saw since they are supposed to last forever, any thoughts?

I like your thinking...All great saw's. The 441 with its gas miliage will save some money in the long run as well. :cheese:

Thistle said:
LOL sorry.Not even for a 36 pack of that Boxer beer (Still havent found it locally yet) But I'm sure you'd feel the same about your 880. :coolgrin:

Come to the AS Iowa GTG October 1st and I'll bring you a case.

gregoolman said:

I'd go used but would expect him to come down a little more.

MofoG23 said:

What's even more fun is yanking BR's chain. :cheese:

wendell said:
gregoolman said:

I'd go used but would expect him to come down a little more.
Go for that used 441, even if he doesn't come down, that's a fair deal, IMO.

Unless the dealer wants to give you a warranty equivalent to a new one, I would offer half the new price. Tired of people (not you though Danno :) ), especially dealers thinking used saws are worth 80% of retail.

Funny how most folks won't let their best friend borrow their saw, but don't mind buying one that was used every day by a stranger. I bought two used saws... never again. Maybe... MAYBE if I got it from a dealer who I was positive ran through the entire saw and refurbed it and gave a full warranty. I didn't in that case, and now the carb is having funny issues and they want me to pay for the repair. In the other instance, a saw I bought from a private individual looked in pretty good shape and ran well, but a hose had a small crack I didn't notice and it caused a lean seizure soon after I bought it. $300 repair.

A big pro saw will last the average homeowner a lifetime. There's is nothing like pulling the cord on a brand new saw, or watching it pick up power as it breaks in. You are there from Day 1 to make sure it always had the correct mix, never got dropped off a moving truck, that all the maintenance is done correctly, etc. Anything goes wrong with it... it's your fault, not the previous owner's. Spend the extra on a new saw now. Next year, your bank account won't be able to tell the difference.

Oh... spend the extra money and get the Dolmar. That 7900 is the saw to own right now. It's a full horsepower more than the Husky 372XP and weighs the same. I'd even pay the extra and get the full wrap handle. A buddy has one with the full wrap and it is a nice handling saw.

I bought my Stihl 8-9 yrs ago and have seriously abused it- but it starts the same and runs great no matter what I do. I'd consider a used Stihl based on the reliability I've seen in my saw.

I'm looking at a step up, and would consider the Stihl 362 or the Dolmar 7900. Don't need it day to day, but I want it.

Adios Pantalones said:
I bought my Stihl 8-9 yrs ago and have seriously abused it- but it starts the same and runs great no matter what I do. I'd consider a used Stihl based on the reliability I've seen in my saw.

I'm looking at a step up, and would consider the Stihl 362 or the Dolmar 7900. Don't need it day to day, but I want it.

Yeah, the Stihls hold up. My little 011 is 22 years old now and I just this year had to replace the oiler and have a few hoses put in (that ethanol really kills hoses). I abused mine over the years, cutting wood that was better suited for a saw two classes bigger. But... I never once ran old gas or a bad mix in it, always went with the best 2-stroke oil Stihl had to offer. It still runs so well that I'm going to sell it to a buddy instead of an enemy. There's work abuse and there's jerk abuse. I never treated my saw like a jerk. Who know's how a stranger treated his saw?

362 or 7900? Man, you just want a new saw to play with... any size. :lol: ;-)

If you're like me, you want the saw you don't use day to day to have all the snot you'll ever need when you do grab it. My feeling is that the 362 is perhaps the best 60cc saw on the market right now, but it is still an everyday saw. Get the 7900 if you want all the power you'll ever need in an occasional use saw.

Here's another 7900 up against the biggest, baddest Husky out there. Running an 8-pin rim is hard Aussie wood, it never drops RPMs and is just a touch behind the 3120XP (which bogged twice in the cut running a stock 7-pin rim).

Here is one of the blue versions with too big a rim and some operator error.

What size rim you have on that, Wendell? Chain type? That's some fast cutting. ;-)

Here one of a guy who seems pretty lackadaisical about some pretty awesome drops he made with his "little saw".

I had an 8 pin on it at the time but had just gotten it back and it wasn't broke in enough for it but could easily run it now. And, let's just say the chain had some "modifications". ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.