Echo top handle saw recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Looking to upgrade my small saw, and I think I'll stick with echo, but go from rear handle to top. I'll start with a 14" bar.

Looking for recommendations for the upgrade. Light and reliable and spunky are the main requirements.

If you love other small top handle saws, I'm all ears.

Reactions: JimBear
If I were in the market for a new saw it would be a CS2511 drop shipped to a hot rod saw builder and put Stihl Pico Micro cutting equipment on it. Otherwise It would probably be a CS2511 shipped to my house and swapped out to Stihl stuff.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
If I were in the market for a new saw it would be a CS2511 drop shipped to a hot rod saw builder and put Stihl Pico Micro cutting equipment on it. Otherwise It would probably be a CS2511 shipped to my house and swapped out to Stihl stuff.
What would you have the hot rod saw builder do?

I wouldn’t buy a top handle saw for general cutting. Dangerous little things and they make my forearms really tired compared to a rear handle
I don't find the safety to be any less and the top handle makes the saw a peach to handle. Agree to disagree I suppose.

I don't find the safety to be any less and the top handle makes the saw a peach to handle. Agree to disagree I suppose.
I grew up with a 14" top handle homelite, years ago, until a contractor borrowed it to make one small cut, and then backed over it with thier truck. They gave Dad $100, and he went out and bought a shelf model 16" top handle Poulan, that wasn't nearly as good a saw. That, and the rear handle 19" Montgomery Ward (Remington-made) monster, and I cut a tremendous amount of wood from age 12-25. I then graduated to an 18" craftsman that was on clearance for the bigger stuff, and that lasted about as expected.

I've had the little rear handle echo for about 15 years. It has been ok, until the fuel line rotted. Eventually I'll fix the fuel line, and keep it as a spare. But I miss the top handle that I spent so much time with. And I figure it'll be the last small gas chainsaw I buy. I'm already leaning heavily toward a battery saw.

I use the stihl 019 ( I think? Lol) it’s the newer cheap model for tree work just under the 020 (not sure what they call them now).I tried running one of those cheap mcChulloch ( had to google to spell ha ha) one time and it died for no reason while about 100’ up in a tree so I did a drop test. It failed. I’m extra careful when I run them, was told by the guy that taught me they were unsafe and I do feel the leverage for kickbacks isn’t as good. Definitely more handy for tree work though

I use the stihl 019 ( I think? Lol) it’s the newer cheap model for tree work just under the 020 (not sure what they call them now).I tried running one of those cheap mcChulloch ( had to google to spell ha ha) one time and it died for no reason while about 100’ up in a tree so I did a drop test. It failed. I’m extra careful when I run them, was told by the guy that taught me they were unsafe and I do feel the leverage for kickbacks isn’t as good. Definitely more handy for tree work though
That's part of why I really prefer the small cc saws, very little kickback. I am in no hurry. My current husky big saw, with standard chain, you really need to hang on. I get a similar sensation when I'm at the top of a ladder and lose a little balance- mayhem dead-ahead! I've had enough of that kind of excitement.

I will second the CS2511t from Echo, I use mine all the time. I removed the 14” b/c & put a 12” on it. It handles much better & works better in brushy/shrubby type stuff. The VXL chain that came on it was also very chattery. I am running Stihl & Carlton chain on mine & a Stihl bar. My Stihl HT100 Pole saw has a 12” b/c & runs .043”, so now I don’t have to worry about grabbing the wrong chain for either of the pole saws or the 2511t. My Echo PPT 2620 pole saw came with 14” b/c also it’s getting changed over to 12” also.

It’s also small enough to carry around in tractor cab or UTV cab & not be in the way.

The bumper spikes that Echo sells for the 2511t are junk, I had my friend fabricate me a case guard/spike combo for mine.

66138052-708B-4124-A315-D9867D2E0D3E.jpegBCFF3A4A-928C-4F1C-8E2C-54DF3A04F701.jpeg

I use my Stihl MS-150 every time I work with a saw. It's my go to and with patience I've cut down 12" trees with the tiny 12" bar and itty bitty cutters.

Reactions: JimBear
I have a Stihl MS 194 and had the 12” bar put on versus the 14 for the sole purpose of limbing standing trees of dead wood.
There is no way I’d use that over a rear handle saw for doing anything more.