Echo vs Stihl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fox9988

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2012
NW Arkansas
First impressions only, 1/3 cord on the Stihl, just got the Echo going, ~6cc Stihl advantage.
Stihl MS290, stock, like new, sharp full chisel Stihl chain, tuned- heavier, more refined, 13 second pass through red oak log.
Echo CS-510,muffler mod, tuned, new Windsor full chisel chain=lighter, automotive style air filter, noticeably well engineered ($10 saw, I had to work on this one), 16 second pass.
I haven't figured out which one I'm rooting for yet:)

The Echo CS-510 and 520 are pretty good cutting and well built saws (somehow I know). Though I've never owned a Stihl MS290, they sold, and keep selling a bunch of them.
Do a muffler mod on the Stihl. I've read and heard it really wakes them up. Better power for the weight they have.

Cheers.

I plan on a muff mod to my 290 but you need to remove the carb limiter caps and it just doesn't look easy. The limiters don't even let it run rich enough in the stock configuration much less with a modded muff.

I used a drywall screw on the Echo. Thread the screw into the slot on the cap. One cap popped off when the screw bottomed out on the jet, had to use a pair of pliers on the other screw. AS has detailed instructions with pics.

Ooohhhhh, this sounds interesting....what is this Muffler Mod you guys are talking about? I have an Echo 400CS, is this applicable? I like my Echo, but I'm really a Stihl guy.

Muffler mod = more air + more fuel = more power::-)
Applicable for any combustion engine (especially diesel _g)

I looked at the arboristsite write ups and pics but those are on old pro model saws. The newer flippy cap stihls seem to have changed to make this harder.

Inside the muffler of modern saws, especially the ms290, there is a pair of little tiny holes that all exhaust must pass through. You have a giant carb throat, giant exhaust port in the head, and then this little pea sized hole at the end to restrict the flow for some reason (probably emissions).

My saw works really well now so I don't want to mess it up trying to improve it. Same thing with my powerstroke diesel, it worked fine before I added 100 HP to it but now I don't know how I lived without the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.