ECM Motor For Insert Fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
It would seem like a good application for an efficient motor, since, in my case anyway, the fan is on 24x7 all winter.

It might save you a few bucks a month but they are expensive to buy. I guess it depends on what your local rates are. The payback might take a while.

More likely you would have to make your own set up, Blower + motor as I have new seen any ever listed for stoves. Additionally most of the stove blowers bearings go south about 2 or so years of 24/7 running during the season. Kinda sucks at what they charge for them.

They are used in some pellet stoves. You would need a DC power supply too. IMO, any motor that runs 24/7 should have oiler holes, even if you have to drill them yourself.

Those bearing races are tough, bb ones need a hi temp grease in there. ECM motors are DC but run off AC . They have their own inverter circuit built in, so a dc drive circuit is not needed. Variable AC will work

Last edited:
Those bearing races are tough, bb ones need a hi temp grease in there. ECM motors are DC but run off AC . They have their own inverter circuit built in, so a dc drive circuit is not needed. Variable AC will work

I usually try to drill into the surrounding felt padding that holds the oil reserve. Depends on the motor though.

Felt padding would indicate a bronze sleeve bushing/bearing.

Hf 30t is about 14 years old - rebuilt about 4 years back making corrections to lousy hydro circuit design and replacing beam, wedge , foot plate, and valve. it is strictly horz. operation now. pump motor& cylinder are oem. Had my issues with it starting with the filter assembly that was installed backwards from the oem. Poor welds in some critical areas. Valve just plain wore out after about 10 years. Biggest issue was the cylinder would get so hot you could not touch it without getting burned, caused by line restrictions and return line located too high on the tank casing some cavitation in the oil. Unit can now be run on the hottest summer day day without any overheat issues.

I haven't had as many issues, except for that pesky one where the big nut holding everything together in the cylinder was never tightened. :)
I have no idea how many cords I've done, maybe 40.

Oh Oh there's that word " special" when ever that pops up I know its going to hurt in the wallet. Several other words around with similar results as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.