Eco Bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
I am looking for price comparison's of these things so I can decide what to purchase.

Last year I bought a few of the ones at Tractor Supply that have three bricks in them. It was not a great experience they made a mess of sawdust like I didn't get enough of that in the summer. I noticed Tractor Supply has another product called eco bricks that have 6 bricks per bag at 3.49. Is this good or bad? How many of these in a pallet?

I don't really understand how to equate them to cord wood.
eco bricks - 1 pallet( i believe is a ton) = 1 cord (128cf) of good hardwood firewood BTU wise (generally speaking). All wood has the same btu amount but varies by density. so the amount of btus in a 1/2 dozen splits of say oak might = 1/2 of a cord of say willow. for the same amount of btus. Eco bricks are extremely dense ( giant pellets) I haven't looked at the pricing this year but I like to have about a dozen packs on hand
I have used some eco bricks never had any of the alternative ones from Tractor supply. Relatively clean- less mess than cord wood. I use them when I have a stove full of coals as it helps to burn coals down and give more heat off stove but you can't fill a stove with them as that would likely cause an overfire. Eco bricks have a moisture content of apx 8% vs firewood which is doing really good to get down to 12% likely avg for most is 15-20% if properly dried and stored.

Status
Not open for further replies.