Eco-Choice CAB50?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, all that from 3 bags?

Takes about a week to look like that in mine

Is someone says use softwoods, I have yet to see any. I have been to many places, and have yet spotted the elusive softwood pellet.

I just used 3 bags in mine. All 3 bags where different brands. I did not have that much ash and did not have that many pellets miss the burn pot.

Are you pulling your cleaning rod once a day? I just put the greenways in a few hours ago, I should be able to let ya know how there doing in a day or two. The stove keeps shutting down, do to the warmer weather, The house is HOT.

The last brand I used where dirty, They seemed to burn hot, But I had to scrape the burn pot clean after they where done. I did not do that with the other two brands.

Last year I burned Orfords all year, 100% hardwood.

This year I got green supreme for my shoulder season and Orfords for the super cold months.
The Green supremes burn cooler and abit dirtier but were alot cheaper.

Right now I run the GS's 24/7, your stove looks like mine after running a solid week and a few days. That clinker is huuuuuggggeeee lol

As Dp said, make sure you pull that rod daily

Just watched your video while burning on medium. one concern I have is towards the end of the video is that your fire is burning down quite alot before it feeds again. was that just that one video or is that a typical result your getting?

it goes up and down like that all the time, the fire never stays consistent. The air damper under the ash pan is all the way open and the feed rod is almost all the way closed. I pulled the rod after 3 bags so almost 3 days without pulling the rod. Do you think something is wrong with the stove?

I think you should pull the rod everyday. If your burn pot has hard ash or clinkers in there then it's harder for air to get in and burn good. might be why you have so much ash?

I'm with DP on this, pull the rod daily. I do it every morning before i leave for work.

Your burn pot and the surrounding area looks like your not getting a complete burn, but that all could have been from that giant clinker.

Nothing wrong with the stove, just takes some time and practice to dial it in

I don't have an OAK could that has some affect on the burn. Where is your fuel slide at? It needs more air i think. Also why are the pellets missing the pot so much? I pulled the pot out today and was very heavy black deposits i had to soak and break off. Growing up our wood stove never was like that isn't this the same concept

Last edited:
I have a pre AE mt Vernon. This is essentially the same stove. I always had to clean the pot daily. I'm not talking about pulling the dumper. I had to shut down and clean out the holes in the sides. I'm not sure how you could go any longer without doing this.

I have a pre AE mt Vernon. This is essentially the same stove. I always had to clean the pot daily. I'm not talking about pulling the dumper. I had to shut down and clean out the holes in the sides. I'm not sure how you could go any longer without doing this.

I have used 4 bags so far and there has not been anything in the side holes yet.

I put 3 bags of greenways in 24 hours ago, there was about 5 pounds that would not fit. Damper is open all the way and fuel rod is shut all the way.

20141124_152842_resized.jpg 20141124_152911_resized.jpg
20141124_153049_resized.jpg

In the few years i've owned mine, ive never had anything in the side holes.

My setup:
No Oak
fuel rod open all the way (about 8" flame on high)
dampener open all the way
my pipe goes straight out the wall, 21/2 maybe 3 feet 3" pipe

on cleanup days my wife or I does the following:

Vac out the chamber
open burn pot lever and quickly hit the sides of the pot with a hand wire brush (one of my welding brushes)
vac out ash pan
wipe down glass

takes all of 5 min

Heres a few pictures of what mine looks like after roughly more than 2 weeks with no cleaning (the pellets in the pan was from me pulling the rod when it was in start up mode, my bad >.< )

IMG_20141124_161519543 by ompproductions, on Flickr

IMG_20141124_161535818 by ompproductions, on Flickr

No hard deposits and the ash is very light and feathery

Reactions: Dpopps
In the few years i've owned mine, ive never had anything in the side holes.

My setup:
No Oak
fuel rod open all the way (about 8" flame on high)
dampener open all the way
my pipe goes straight out the wall, 21/2 maybe 3 feet 3" pipe

on cleanup days my wife or I does the following:

Vac out the chamber
open burn pot lever and quickly hit the sides of the pot with a hand wire brush (one of my welding brushes)
vac out ash pan
wipe down glass

takes all of 5 min

Heres a few pictures of what mine looks like after roughly more than 2 weeks with no cleaning (the pellets in the pan was from me pulling the rod when it was in start up mode, my bad >.< )

IMG_20141124_161519543 by ompproductions, on Flickr

IMG_20141124_161535818 by ompproductions, on Flickr

No hard deposits and the ash is very light and feathery

What kind of pellets are you using? How many bags are you burning in 2 weeks?

I have a 10+ flame with the fuel rod shut all the way.

What kind of pellets are you using? How many bags are you burning in 2 weeks?

I have a 10+ flame with the fuel rod shut all the way.

That pic was burning Green Supremes, about 1-1.25 bag a day. Those burn dirtier compared to the Orfords we switch over to for mid-late winter

Running on high.

I think each brand requires a different fuel rod setting, also some make more or less ash, i guess it's a trial and error experience. I'm running on low with 50% closed and the fire is a few inches out of the pot and making very good heat. I put 3 4x12 vents, one in each room and now the house is starting to equalize in temperature. running 75 in the basement, 70 upstairs and 68 in the back bedrooms. I have a 20" box fan at the bottom of the steps hanging from the ceiling blowing up the stairs.

Last edited:
I think more pellets are missing the burn pot because the greenways are a smaller pellet.

I'm running those Michigan pellets again, picked up 12 bags to try again. going to get 2 tons of greenways next week.

What ones do you think burn hotter and have less ash?

I called around and a TSC has there brand of pellets, Someone said there might be somersets?

So far I have tried pro pellet, american pellet, american wood fuel, and greenways. That's about all I can find. There is one more brand I want to try, but currently sold out.

hard to tell, i'm still working on the burn. Got up this morning and checked the stove been running on low all night and looks to be about the same ash build up as the others. I opened the fuel rod so its burning hotter now and i think the fire is about right. So i'm going to mark the slider with a sharpie and brand burned on paper and getting readings and some data till these bags are gone. Wish i could find the Douglas fir pellets.

I have never seen soft woods. Have you went to that shop with different brand pellets?

When I had my fuel rod half open there was a large flame. But I am going to mess with it once I can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.