Eco-Choice CAB50?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well cleaned it out today and found some pitting in the burn pot about an 1/8" deep in 1 spot wondering why its doing it.

Is it normal to see the burn chamber like ashy like mine? What settings do you use for air and fuel.

I don't touch the damper underneath the ash pan. When I first got mine I read that it was not to be adjusted. Now, that was a few years ago and I can't remember where I read that but I kept to that.

My feed tube is 1/2 but I haven't messed with it in a couple winters. No need in fooling with something that works.

Honestly it takes me 3 bags to get that much ash and my pot rarely needs hard scraping. I pull the rod every day but only get the scrape tool on it couple times a month. I just don't have build up on mine. Have used greenways for 99% of pellets and only greenways the past 3 winters, nothing else.

I may have 3 unburned pellets in my ash and I'm 99% sure I cause those by shutting down the stove and they are blown back out of the pot by the cool down.

I don't run an oak. I have a brick house and really don't want to drill any more holes through it. I eventually will but really... too lazy right now.

Sounds like your enjoying the softwoods? Have you tried any of the other yet?

I picked up a few bags of tsc brand pellets the other day and will try them soon. I am looking to pick up and try a few bags of kirtland pellets also, there suppose to be a hardwood and softwood mix.

Ya i really like the pine but yes i'm burning the american wood fiber hardwood right now and it also puts out some heat with a little more ash but not bad at all. the brand seems like a good one so far. tomorrow i'll start the sumerset and get some pics and updates. its been running on medium all day with the fuel rod closed and its 15::F out and 72::F upstairs :). I am fore sure buying at least 1 ton of the softwood

Just used up 2 bags of the hardwood from american wood fibers and have to say its still kinda ashy, i'd say 1/2 of the depo or lowes crap. Just put the first bag of sumerset in and seems to be burning great will know in the morning how much ash.

This is my 2nd winter with the Cab50 - I have it downstairs. Burned 2 ton last year - planning 3 ton this year. Last year I tried pro pellets, MI pellets, somerset and Isabella (softwood). Best heat and least amount of ash came from the Somersets. I did like the Isabella also. This year I have Somerset, Greenway & Kirtland. I haven't burned the Kirtland yet. I pull the cleaning rod daily and vacuum & clean the glass weekly. Monthly I do a deep clean. I installed a wood stove (Grandview 230) upstairs just last week. Plan is to heat with pellets down and wood up.

This is my 2nd winter with the Cab50 - I have it downstairs. Burned 2 ton last year - planning 3 ton this year. Last year I tried pro pellets, MI pellets, somerset and Isabella (softwood). Best heat and least amount of ash came from the Somersets. I did like the Isabella also. This year I have Somerset, Greenway & Kirtland. I haven't burned the Kirtland yet. I pull the cleaning rod daily and vacuum & clean the glass weekly. Monthly I do a deep clean. I installed a wood stove (Grandview 230) upstairs just last week. Plan is to heat with pellets down and wood up.

I just tossed two bags of kirtlands in the other day. So far they seem good. Not many fines and ash is not to bad, I did have to open my fuel rod up most of the way.

How big is your house? I have mine in the basement and so far its heating the whole house great.

I run the same situation.....wood upstairs in a Vermont Castings Defianat that I have had since 1977 and used every year...was coal in the basement but this year switched to cab50 burning LG pellets....so nice...only pellet I've used but just did a clean out and seems to be normal.....takes awhile to get everything up to temp but does the job well...use the wood when the wind howls and temps go far down......

I think mine is broke in because its burning really good now, pull the rod every 12 hours for best efficiently i think that make a difference. So far the best i have used is the american wood fiber white pine and 2nd i would say sumerset. Last night i ran it on low and i checked it this morning and it was 70 upstairs and it was 12::F outside with 10 to 15 mile winds.

Golden fire is $289, MWP is $199. Made a new fuel rod, the guy said to get another 1/4" close because it burns 25% hotter than the white pine

• Wow
Reactions: nikeseer
I just tossed two bags of kirtlands in the other day. So far they seem good. Not many fines and ash is not to bad, I did have to open my fuel rod up most of the way.

How big is your house? I have mine in the basement and so far its heating the whole house great.

2100sq ft down and 2500sq ft up. The Cab50 heats the basement nice and the heat does go up the stairway but not into the rooms. With the wood stove running upstairs now the furnace has not started up since the stove was installed.

I run the same situation.....wood upstairs in a Vermont Castings Defianat that I have had since 1977 and used every year...was coal in the basement but this year switched to cab50 burning LG pellets....so nice...only pellet I've used but just did a clean out and seems to be normal.....takes awhile to get everything up to temp but does the job well...use the wood when the wind howls and temps go far down......

Thanks for the tip. Really liking the GV230 wood heat 1 week in.

image.jpg
Grayling has a pellet plant he sells 12 brands

Nice - might have to make a road trip.

My pellet set up - 71 downstairs tonight.

Reactions: The Ds
Very nice looking setups. After running the stove last night I now know why he said to chock the feed down, on medium its as hot as the high setting lol. Oh and hardly any ash its crazy.

Reactions: nikeseer
Very nice looking setups. After running the stove last night I now know why he said to chock the feed down, on medium its as hot as the high setting lol. Oh and hardly any ash its crazy.

What brand pellet were you burning? Have you tried the golden fire yet?

ran 2 bags of the golden fire and no need to pull the rod there is nothing much in the pot

Status
Not open for further replies.