Eco-Choice CAB50?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where are the golden fires made? Looks like OR on the bag.

The MWP burn good to, just ran 1 bag through it and the ash is white and fluffy, pot looks good very low build up, $199 a ton

Thanks for the update. Good price for the MWP pellets.

Little update. I fixed the pellets going into the burn chamber by backing the ceramic heat sensor back about 1/2". It has a grove to line it up and mine was out past it so the pellets where hitting it and flying out.

Filled holes under ash pan, it can pull air from the house instead of the OAK

Last edited:
Anyone using the wall thermostat that came with the stove? Or a programmable stat? Last night the temp dropped so the stove kicked on but the pellets did not ignite - had to cycle the pot to dump the pellets and then bump the temp back up to start again - which it did. Does anyone use a soft wire brush to clean off the probe? Curious if any soot build up on the probe prevented the stove from igniting.

I used the one it came with for a few weeks but then I switched the the programmable one upstairs but mine runs 24/7. I've never had a misfire before myself. I set the upstairs to 76::F at that point the hole house would be above 72::F. last few days it's been running on low and the house stays around 70-72 upstairs.

Anyone using the wall thermostat that came with the stove? Or a programmable stat? Last night the temp dropped so the stove kicked on but the pellets did not ignite - had to cycle the pot to dump the pellets and then bump the temp back up to start again - which it did. Does anyone use a soft wire brush to clean off the probe? Curious if any soot build up on the probe prevented the stove from igniting.

I have a programmable T-stat that I put upstairs. I only used the one that it came with for a day or two. Mine has always started or ignited when needed. I run my stove mostly on medium and it shuts down all the time when the temp is reached and starts back up when needed. I keep the upstairs T-stat at 72 day and 70 at night, any hotter and you would need to walk around in your scooby doo underwear. I have the T-stat also set up to have a 2 degree swing. The basement is around 75-76 degrees and all rooms up stairs are 71.5-74 degrees.

A few reasons it did not start and you has to reset. Not enough pellets fell into the pot. There was to much ash build up in the pot, maybe the rod needed to be pulled? Not sure about the temp sensor, could be? I just use the tool once a week and lightly push or scrape the ash off of it. Could have been just some odd one time misfire?

Just wipe the probe off with some cleaner. A wire brush banging around on it might lead to damage. I have seen using an SOS pad recommended on very dirty ones. In my used stove I just bought and cleaned the probe was TRASHED. I only used cleaner (multiple times) on it and it works fine.

The part of the probe you are seeing is not really the probe. The real probe is a wire that is inside. what you are looking at is a ceramic cover for the probe.

The part of the probe you are seeing is not really the probe. The real probe is a wire that is inside. what you are looking at is a ceramic cover for the probe.
You're right. I was thinking in another units set up. Sorry! I follow you cab 50 peeps because I like the stove a lot and think for the money it is hands down the best one for the buck. Much more dependable and better than any others in the same price range.

Reactions: Shakes1976
how is your guys heat prob, mine was halfway out into the pot so i slid it back against the stopper

I used the stat that came with it for a while then switched to the one in my sig. I live in the Great State of Tennessee so our winters are a little...different... then others. Cold here is in the 30's and in the teens is cussing weather. Because of those temps I have it programmed to cut off completely while at work. The house is 59 when I get home then the stat kicks on. It runs until 2200 then cuts off for the night until 0400 to get the house warm as we get ready for work then off again at 0800. I burn 75ish bags a winter.

The only misfires I had was due to letting the battery get too low in the stat.

So if you had to number what pellets you like the best from least, what would the list look like so far?

Somersets #1 without a doubt. ProPellets #2. Only ones I've ran thru so far. Glad I had the option for Somersets. I ran a ton of them thru 1st. Then I ran a ton of the Pro's.

Sets that I have are more consistent, better burn, less ash, and less fines. Also I have not found the occasional "golf pencil sized pellet." Not my term but I get it now.

The Pro's were great pellets.......... Don't get me wrong. What I saw was more ash and build up on low burns with them. Also longer pellets in general. Then the shocker golf pencils. Running them my P68 which supposedly eats anything and it did, would make the snap, crackle, pops, and big bang booms. With the Sets all I hear is a little chingle of pop corn. Much smoother runs. There's my buck fifty.

how is your guys heat prob, mine was halfway out into the pot so i slid it back against the stopper

yeah, that looks like mine. i find that that bolt loosens fairly rapidly with the heat cycling. i give it a little tighten every once in a while.

I loved the white pine and somersets, i would say they are tied for 1st, the MWP pellets made here would be my 2nd and i will use them the rest of this year because of the $199 a ton price tag.

I loved the white pine and somersets, i would say they are tied for 1st, the MWP pellets made here would be my 2nd and i will use them the rest of this year because of the $199 a ton price tag.
That's about the lowest price per ton I've seen anyone state here so far. That's a deal! I feel for the folks in the north east. Some up there are paying much more and have limited supplies and such.

Reactions: nikeseer
That is because i can pick them up where they make them, but yeah $250+ a ton is stupid. That's what the white pine runs here also sumersets.

I tried that with Somerset Pellet but they sell them for the same price as my local TSC and Lowe's. They won't give a break on the price I was told and they don't want to undercut the stores they supply. I wanted to go direct and pull a big trailer down with one of my trucks and grab 7 to 10 tons. I could haul 10 tons in one trip.

I paid $224 ton for Sets here. I'd go pick them up where they make the Sets but I'd have to get them for $200 per ton or less for that to be worth while. The place is about 1 1/2 hrs. away.

I am maybe going to stop in and see about other arrangements this summer. I only talked to the receptionist. I do know locals down there pick up there and probably do get better pricing. Sets are usually $250 a ton here but I get a 10%veterans discount at Lowe's so that knock off $25 per ton.

$224 is a good price for those sets, i like them alot. I was told if you get them in the spring or early summer they are cheaper. and thanks for your service.

ok CAB 50 seasoned owners. I'm using Ambiance this year. 100 percent hardwood. Up here in 19 degree CT. I'm getting great heat but in the teens I have to run in my cape on high. 20's and up on medium. I prefer medium. The Damper. I have my feed all the way closed and my damper wide open. I'm still getting crazy high flame height. If I close the air damper then obviously less air shorter flame but am I correct and also believing it will be less heat too?

Found some kirtland pellets for $185 a ton for #2 and $235 for the premium grade, made from hardwood and pine blend. Going to pick up a ton soon it's $192.40 out the door. Made in Boyne City Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.