ECO FAN INSET STOVE HELP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishands

Jan 30, 2015
Great Britain
Hi,
I installed a Woodburning stove recently, into a chimney hoping it would pull, but it hasnt got enough draw to pull away.
So i am installing a flue liner.

My stove is set back into my chimney and it doesnt let out enough heat, are the Eco fans any good or is pulling the stove out into the room the only way to get the heat out?

Thanks,

Chris

A full insulated liner to the top of the chimney will certainly help the stove to perform better. I also highly recommend to install a block-off plate preferably with some mineral wool insulation on top of it: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/ Both things should give you a huge improvement.

The Eco-fans don't move much heat. I would try placing a small fan on the floor in front of the stove (at a safe distance of course) blowing air at an angle towards the stove. That should move the heat out of the fireplace cavity. Is the fireplace at an exterior or interior wall?

How dry is your wood? Do you have a thermometer to measure your stove's temps?

A full insulated liner to the top of the chimney will certainly help the stove to perform better. I also highly recommend to install a block-off plate preferably with some mineral wool insulation on top of it: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/ Both things should give you a huge improvement.

The Eco-fans don't move much heat. I would try placing a small fan on the floor in front of the stove (at a safe distance of course) blowing air at an angle towards the stove. That should move the heat out of the fireplace cavity. Is the fireplace at an exterior or interior wall?

How dry is your wood? Do you have a thermometer to measure your stove's temps?

Hi, its inside the chimney breast, i knocked the breast out, the breast sits in the middle of the room, and sits adjoining the neighbours chimney (semi house). i burn well seasoned wood, also coal too, multifuel?

its hot but just doesnt seem to kick out heat, it heats up the breast instead, just need to try get the heat into the room

Could you please post some pictures of your stove/fireplace? The heat that is stored in the fireplace is not lost; it will eventually heat your home. "Hot" is relative. When my stove has 100 C I certainly would not want to touch it but it will be too low to heat my home.

How do you define "well seasoned"? Has it been split and stacked with lots of wind and sun exposure for at least a year? Did you measure its moisture content by splitting a few pieces in half and pressing the pins in the center of the fresh surface?

I would still be sure to add a block-off plate below the damper area. If it can be as low as the lintel, even better. You might also try a small table or floor fan on the floor blowing toward the stove. Run it on low speed.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/why-damper-seal-is-needed/

fan on floor.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.