eco fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudson

Sep 29, 2007
I have a Jutol stove and the top plate runs usually about 350 degrees. Is that hot enough to run a heat powered fan?

I read a bunch of on-line reviews of these things -- claim they work well HOWEVER, they demand a contrast between the heat of the stove and cold air being fed from behind -- so they quit working once the woodstove and the surround are heated up. Or, they work less effectively. But again, no personal experience -- just a interested shopper. For a novelty I'd love one, but I'm not spending 100-150 clams for a novelty.

I bought the 802 (3 blades) and it definitely works (and by "works", I mean spins). Not sure if it's doing anything, but I could use all the help I can get! It starts spinning around 150, and the hotter the stove top gets, the faster it spins. You can definitely feel the breeze if you put your hand right up to it, but I don;t see the 150 CFM... I think BeGreen has one too... Great conversation piece.

Once they get warm they run all the time, they don't stop. The hotter the fire the faster they spin. Even when the fire is almost out and the stove is still a little warm they still spin slowly. You can find them for way under $100 at Menard's. It's not as good as a blower, but it uses none of my electricity and works when the power is out. I am pleased with mine.

Not saying I wouldn't enjoy one, but remember that for the cost of the ecofan, you could run a regular 20 watt electric fan 24 hours per day for over five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.