1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Eco logs and the like - What is your preference

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Charlene Kravec, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Charlene Kravec

Charlene Kravec New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Tennessee
    Our stacked wood hasn't fully seasoned as yet. We've learned that folks who sell firewood on the side aren't always honest. So, we've been using Eco bricks to tide us over from time to time. We've been using Red Stone and have also used Uncle Ethan's. For those who have used these, do you have any brand preferences?
    Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. suprz

suprz Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    I have been using biobricks so far this season, i have just used 3 packs (20 -2lbs bricks) i am down to my last 3 bricks but i get them less than a mile from my house so i dont worry about keeping a supply on hand. I have been using them to start the fires and to help with the Black Locust that was cut 2 years ago, but wasnt split until sept of this year. The bricks burn hot and help get the locust going and from there i can usually just keep feeding the stove locust. I love the biobricks, they start fast, and burn a long time. I will usually hammer a screwdriver into one and split it in two and use that with some fatwood and small twigs/limbs to get the fire started and then throw on one or two whole bricks, then the locust
  3. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    I've never used them as I'm a few years ahead. Can the be used in a cat stove?
  4. eclecticcottage

eclecticcottage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WNY
    Ecobricks are our preference.
  5. Charlene Kravec

Loc:
    Eastern Tennessee
    Ralphie, my VC Sequoia is a cat stove and they burn very nicely and clean. One thing you should be aware of though is that they do burn hot. I have read cautions on this site, I believe, that say it's possible to over-fire with them. Our fireplace tech uses them occasionally in his stove and he cautioned to beware of accidentally over-firing with them. We also mix them with other wood to help start a cold box.
  6. suprz

suprz Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    My stove is a cat stove and they are fine, i actually sacrificed one and put it in a tub of water....it swelled up to about 4times its original size, I broke it apart and put it out to dry. It is just as they advertise, sawdust and woodchips, nothing else. I use that one for pixie dust now..
  7. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    I like the biobricks. They do burn hot but I've never burnt them by themselves.
    I put other wood in with them.
  8. Charlene Kravec

Loc:
    Eastern Tennessee
    I think they work best with other wood, especially if the companion wood isn't going to give the best heat output or may not be fully seasoned.
  9. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state