Ecobricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you type eco bricks into the search box you'll probably find 100 threads on these, they're ok but for compressed wood products the North Idaho Energy Logs are more compressed and last longer, more bang for your buck, there's others that are similar to the NIEL, you'll come across those in your search.

Eco bricks I see are going for 2.99 a pack of 3. Cord of wood is around 150. They say it's seasoned but we know how that is. I read a ton of bricks equals 1.5 cord of wood. What's the better deal

The figures I've seen are that one ton=one cord. I suppose that depends on if it is a cord of cottonwood or a cord of oak, or somewhere in between.

Approach these things with caution, as the are very dry. Don't go loading your stove up with them (unless it's a Blaze King ;)). Try a couple at a time until you know how they burn on your stove.

I see them more useful in making some borderline cord wood burn better by mixing them.

Reactions: eclecticcottage
I burned compressed fuel a few years ago. By my best estimates the 1 ton= 1 cord is far better estimate and may actually be a bit generous. Of course I'm comparing to seasoned wood - if your wood is still too wet then you won't get nearly as much from it making the compressed fuel more attractive.

Usual cautions regarding overloading the stove with them - like anything, get to know how they burn before loading up full and leaving the house :)

I liked the convenience and ability to pack more energy into the stove, easy to stack blocks with minimal air between them. The cost is what keeps me from bothering to try more of these - around here such products have run about $300/ton delivered which is higher than I have ever paid for cord wood even C/S/D.

Mixing into greener wood is another good use of these products but I don't have much first hand experience doing this.

Admittedly I have not yet burned compressed blocks, but if it were me I would get both. You're more than likely going to need more than a cord of wood for the winter, so get both. $150 for a cord of hard wood is a good deal. Burn a mix of cord wood and blocks. This way you're stretching the usage of the more expensive product, reducing the risk of over firing the unit and getting good heat. I also recommend getting three more cords so you have ok wood for next year.

I realize this is an expensive endeavor, so here's a cheaper alternative: Buy a cord of the not so seasoned wood. Acquire scrap construction debris or cut up pallets and mix the kiln dried products with cord wood. This is what I did the first year to help even out the moisture level of the loaded fire box. I still burn a lot of construction debris. Usually as kindling now. Good luck!

Reactions: Bowow
Status
Not open for further replies.