EcoFan on a Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangwagz

Feeling the Heat
Oct 5, 2014
Western PA
Sup folks,

been doing some thinkin..(dangerous) so far pellet stove works GREAT! im used to a fire breathing add-on furnace and im pretty happy with my old pellet stove so far.

One down side ive found so far is the fact that there isnt any adjustable vents or louvers. No sweat, we move the heat around pretty well ourselves. i was checking out the ecofans to try and push some heat towards the back room and keep it warmer. Thats where all my water piping and stuff is. now granted, its about 10 degrees cooler or so back there on most days, but when we get down to the nitty gritty days of cold weather im sure it'll really change alot.

My question is this, has anyone found a similar device OR actually use an ecofan to push air towards other parts of the room VIA their pellet stove?? i been looking at "corner" fans too that go in doorways and stuff as well, but i REALLY like the science and stuff behind the eco fans. The only thing ive seen that is lower temps is the "smartfan LT" from overseas. also been looking at other low CFM fans and such. ive ALSO kicked around the idea of modifying the existing louvers on the front of my stove to allow directional changes.

Any input or pictures of what yinz are doing would be very neat and appreciated!

Reactions: JDenyer236
Never heard good luck with Pellet Stoves and Eco Fans.

You could probably rig up a solar cell to run a 12 vdc 4" muffin fan.

I use a 120 vac 4" quiet muffin fan place low in an archway blowing cool air back towards the stove

Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Had one on my wood stove.. It's more of a toy and doesn't move much air around

Reactions: bogieb
Had two on a woodstove and have the same opinion as Dustin. Now, don't get me wrong, if someone GAVE me one or two, I would be glad to use them. Aweful expensive for not much air movement though.

Novelty item IMO........A high dollar one! Box fans are $15 - $20 bucks.

I bought a couple of the largest ones for wood stoves this year. Only had a couple of small burns but they move some air. Not gonna blow anybody's hat off but moves the heat. You can buy a lot of electricity to run a regular fan for the cost of an Ecofan. I am just in a toy mode this year.

Reactions: bags
Newegg was selling a Stirling fan for around 75. Was supposed to be able to run off the top of a cup of coffee. I have always enjoyed the large ones that were used to pump water etc.

I bought a couple of the largest ones for wood stoves this year. Only had a couple of small burns but they move some air. Not gonna blow anybody's hat off but moves the heat. You can buy a lot of electricity to run a regular fan for the cost of an Ecofan. I am just in a toy mode this year.

Don't get me wrong here. They are way cool but not in my budget. I have only seen a small one. About 8" high with maybe 6" blades. I opted for the Wally World Walmart) cheap seats fan options. $15 bucks. Harman spanked me bad enough on the new P68 and then the wife was about to kill me! Now she is warm and happy so it is time to rattle her cage again. LOL! Do you all see a pattern here? I am about ready to drag another stove home in the very near future.

I have a good feeling if it had one of these high dollar fans on it that it would get destroyed when she beats me half to death with it!

Fully understand. I avoided the things for a decade. Had a couple of shekels thrown my way so I decided to give'em a try. Regular fans do just fine and cost a hell of a lot less and are probably more reliable.

Reactions: mustangwagz
Thank you folks, ill spend my money elsewhere then. haha. Thanks again everyone!

I was gonna say I had one of these for years on my wood stove.. It didn't do jack! Lol but it was cool to look at a def a conversation starter when I had people over the house... They would look at it and go "ummm how it that spinning?" haha

Status
Not open for further replies.