Ecofan on Soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob From Wisconsin

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
East-Central Wisconsin
Just curious if there are any users out there that have experience in this catagory?
Did the Ecofan leave any marks on top of the soapstone?
Did your stove get hot enough to effective operate the Ecofan?

Thanks!

The ecofan should not leave any marks. I would think it would work great on a soapstone stove.

I've been looking at the Ecofan also. I've wondered how well it would work on soapstone and how well it would move air around the room/house. Looking forward to some posts from those using an Ecofan on soapstone.

We are currently using them on our phoenix and had used them on our buck 20 for years. We have 4 total and 3 are different. The 2 that are in use are 2 blade models. The smaller has the metal strip underneath that raises the fan if the stove would reach temprature that was too hot. The other is also 2 blade but with a flat base. They spin in different directions and at different speeds. The smooth base is larger and has twice the heat sinks of the smaller model. They aren't damaging the stone nor is the dragon or water dish on top. Very happy with our purchases.

I've been looking at the Ecofan also. I've wondered how well it would work on soapstone and how well it would move air around the room/house. Looking forward to some posts from those using an Ecofan on soapstone.
Be aware that for soapstone, you have to get the more expensive model that's made I think for gas stoves because the soapstone doesn't get up to the temperature range the basic wood stove model is designed to work on.

I've had one for some years now, and although it really doesn't do a whole lot to move warm air around, it's got two small advantages-- because it starts moving at around 300 degrees stovetop, it's an occasionally nice visual signal of where things are-- I can glance out of my office on the other side of the stove room and see immediately that the temp has dropped too far on the stove because the fan has slowed way down, or that the fire has worked its way up from a cold start to a nice beginning.

Secondly, on a cold day or in a drafty room, you can face it toward where you're sitting, if it's not too far from the stove, and it's again a small but nice thing to feel that tiny little bit of extra heat coming your way.

I'm glad I have mine and wouldn't give it away, but if I'd known how very minor a role it plays, I wouldn't have spent the coin on it.

Just curious if there are any users out there that have experience in this catagory?
Did the Ecofan leave any marks on top of the soapstone?
Did your stove get hot enough to effective operate the Ecofan?

Thanks!
Rob, see my comments just previous about the very limited practical usefulness of this fan.

It has not left a mark on either this or my previous soapstone stove, but I don't move it around much. Also, Woodstock at least says that scratch marks on their soapstone made by a fan, a trivet, a steamer, etc., are easily buffed away with judicious use of fine steel wool. Haven't had occasion to try that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.