ECOFAN

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RNLA

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2010
I took the plunge today. With burning season right around the corner I wanted to get the ecofan before the local guy didn't have anymore. So some people swear at them and some swear by them. I'll be interested to see how it works for me.

Attachments

• DSC00115.jpg
    DSC00115.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 735
I think that they are about as useful as a cat with a swishy tail for moving air, but there is something to be said for the placebo effect. Plus, they will tell you when you need to reload the stove. Mine is still on the mantle and I am hoping for a warm fall.

Thanks :smirk: I did see one in full action at my friends cabin on a freestanding stove. It does work, I just don't know how well on the insert.

OK, I'm convinced. It does not put out heat but it does move air. This is exactly what they say. I have noticed a difference in the room temperature. I know it will be better on the electric bill. We use to use the blower until it shut it's self off, now we shut the blower off after 1-2 hours and the house still stays warmer over night. It is not a placebo. :lol:

You just cost me some money. Held off for years but my stove is in the fireplace like that one.

Off to amazon.com...

Uh oh...

BeGreen said:

Just don't know whether to do one three blade or two two blades. Decisions. Decisions. Damned wood burning gets expensive. >:-(

If it helps, I have the 3 blade fan and so does RNLA. It moves more air. Just be sure you don't get the low temp fan.

BG and BB have "forced" me to spend enough. I ran out of room on the paper I had keeping track of the list. Glad to see you crack that wallet open for something other than natty light BB.

Not looking forward to a positive review (since that would mean I'm buying one.)

pen

pen said:
BG and BB have "forced" me to spend enough. I ran out of room on the paper I had keeping track of the list. Glad to see you crack that wallet open for something other than natty light BB.

Not looking forward to a positive review (since that would mean I'm buying one.)

pen

This blasted forum has cost me thousands. Me and my old stoves and cut in Spring wood were dumb and happy and hadn't spent another dime since 1985 until I came across this place. You don't even wanna know the total since then. :mad:

Wood heat is cheap. Wood heat addiction is about four dollars a year cheaper than a crack addiction. :lol:

It's cost me a stove every couple years, but that's much better than if this was a boating forum.

BeGreen said:
It's cost me a stove every couple years, but that's much better than if this was a boating forum.

Roger that.

What is costing me the most right now is nothing to do with fans that don't burn electricity. It is doing the lay out for providing juice when the power is out. Out of power for a week in three of the last five years has gotten my attention.

Been looking at the Ecofan for years. Two seven dollar fans blowing in the fireplace did a fine job taking up the slack for the fan on the back of the 30 when it crapped out. Just having a hard time making the leap from $14 to $150. :roll:

But damnit I just gotta know. Waited this long and the price has never come down...

It's not that I don't trust BG's review of the fan but that I'm afraid I run my stove too hard for one and don't want to have to babysit it.

pen

pen said:
It's not that I don't trust BG's review of the fan but that I'm afraid I run my stove too hard for one and don't want to have to babysit it.

pen

Everybody that read my post last year knows that I NEVER let that 30 get too hot. :red:

BrotherBart said:
pen said:

pen

Everybody that read my post last year knows that I NEVER let that 30 get too hot. :red:

Yea, 1k°F is nothing :shut:

If you buy one and don't have any soapstone, let me know what size the base of that fan is and I'll send you a piece of soapstone to set under it when it's cranking.

pen

I'm tighter than a plug nickle and I'll say #1 it is worth the price, #2 I'll be buying my second as soon as I can afford it. I want to say I was leery at first especially with an insert! I am the most critical customer and the guy at the store said he would give me every penny back if I did not like it. He also said he had sold several and never had a return. The 3 blade moves a good amount of air and I can honestly say I'm happy! This is not the usual out come... %-P

RNLA said:
I'm tighter than a plug nickle and I'll say #1 it is worth the price, #2 I'll be buying my second as soon as I can afford it. I want to say I was leery at first especially with an insert! I am the most critical customer and the guy at the store said he would give me every penny back if I did not like it. He also said he had sold several and never had a return. The 3 blade moves a good amount of air and I can honestly say I'm happy! This is not the usual out come... %-P

Just had to say that didn't ya. >:-( There went the kid's new bike. Oh wait, I don't have a kid.

pen said:
BrotherBart said:
pen said:

pen

Yea, 1k°F is nothing :shut:

If you buy one and don't have any soapstone, let me know what size the base of that fan is and I'll send you a piece of soapstone to set under it when it's cranking.

pen

Jesus, I wonder what 1k would raise the temp to in this room. I'm guessing triple digits.

Been wondering about the ecofan....
Dammit...I am getting one now....
You buggers twisted my arm....you know I have a "shopping" problem....
that has been pretty much under control >:-(

I've got one and I think it works well. I'll also say they stand behind their product. The little motor burned out on mine after a couple of years, and they sent a replacement (motor) - no questions, no problems.

I've had one turning on my DW for 12 years. Though I've never had one "burn out" I find they eventually slow down. I replace mine every 5-6 years. Rather than throw out the first old one I gave it to a neighbor who later claimed the Ecofan made his old stove "feel one size larger".

I find they make a real difference.

I do want to warn everyone. These do not make your stove into a jet heater, they move cool air, as that takes place the warm air is mixed in too. The effect is more consistent temps because the air in the room doesn't stop moving. The blower on our stove puts out heat but only making a hot area in the house, the ecofan helped to even out the over all temp. I thought this was going to be another flash in the pan thread, now I see lots of people were thinking about it but saying "you first" :smirk: I'm glad I could help... Now how to get a commission for my endorsement! :lol:

Ceiling fan does the job much better with very low energy consumption on low/reverse. The Ecofan is a cute conversation piece. I may get one just cause I like stuff like that.

I personally do not care for ceiling fans. In our house it would look funny. If we modify anything it would be a gas furnace.... :gulp:

Status
Not open for further replies.