EcoFans-are they worth to have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do a search. This topic comes up lots of times. Some like them for the novelty. We tried one as the wife insisted. Used it two days and returned it because it simply will not move much heat. Just look at the blades and imagine how much air it will move. For a novelty, then it is okay but that's about it.

Backwoods Savage said:
Do a search. This topic comes up lots of times. Some like them for the novelty. We tried one as the wife insisted. Used it two days and returned it because it simply will not move much heat. Just look at the blades and imagine how much air it will move. For a novelty, then it is okay but that's about it.
I agree Dennis.....they are a neat novelty but not very productive....just like all these windmills they put on the mountain behind us......they sell the electricity to New York and New Jersey but WE have to look at them.....the novelty has wore off on those too....lol.....

Enough there then guys.I installed a ceiling fan,spreads the air fine but need something to push the air towards upstairs. I thought they move air quite strong as it shows on their website.the price is another factor.

surfflyfish4stripers said:
Enough there then guys.I installed a ceiling fan,spreads the air fine but need something to push the air towards upstairs. I thought they move air quite strong as it shows on their website.the price is another factor.
their website is gonna make that thing look like the best fan in the world....in the real world it is merely a novelty...do a search here on Hearth.com and you'll see what I mean......yer better off with a cheap fan pointed TOWARDS the stove to circulate air around it.......convection will help do the rest....

I tried one for about a week then returned it. Wasnt worth the 130 i paid for it. Instead used that cash to buy wood and bought a box fan at the Walmart for like 15 bucs on clearance. They are nice and all as a conversation starter but not efficient.

Some people find them to be useful. BeGreen, I believe, has had success with moving air with them a bit more beyond 'novelty'.

KatWill said:
I tried one for about a week then returned it. Wasnt worth the 130 i paid for it. Instead used that cash to buy wood and bought a box fan at the Walmart for like 15 bucs on clearance. They are nice and all as a conversation starter but not efficient.

On two of the stove it did not make a difference. There was a noticeable difference in heat movement with the stove in the kitchen.

My opinion total junk,every one I had quit working in 6 months,don't waste your money.

I've had one for almost eight years now....makes for a nice conversation piece and thats about it.

Im going to differ. I find mine does well. However,my stove is freestanding and set back a ways into an existing fireplace. The fan aids in the convective air movement. After 2 seasons though, the fan is getting a little slow. I still use a box fan to push cold air into the stoveroom.

I was more thinking along the lines of power outages. Yeah a cheap fan will probably move more air for cheaper but that wont help when the power is out. Doesnt go out all that much though (fingers crossed) so maybe not a big issue. We could always just 'move into' the stove room during an outage. But the reports of them failing early bothers me at that price point.

ohlongarm said:
My opinion total junk,every one I had quit working in 6 months,don't waste your money.

A coupla good squirts of WD-40 and it'll perk right up again. THere aren't any fancy mechanics in these things to fail, but the works do gradually get slowed down by the dust and ash in the air.

Along with a ceiling fan in the stove room I have a desk fan about 1/2 way up my stairs. I found that placed to high up the stairs it seems to fight the warm air trying to go up, and to low it wouldn't pull the cold air down. Just have to play with where to put it. Mine ends up being about 3' above the main floor. My house is old and very boxy and the fan pulls heat up rather well. It went from high 50's in that room to mid to high 60's with the fan.

I think they help. I know I can feel the air move when you stand in front of mine They don't so much push the air as create a bit of turbulence, which certianly helps "mix" the warm and cold air. I also found the company great to deal with. My first one died after 2 years, so I gave them a call just to ask if this was their normal life span, and without my even asking, said they would send another motor at no charge (no shipping even) - just had to be soldered in.
It's an Eco-fan, I believe. I think they are made in Wiarton - a small town in Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.