ecoflo septic tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beno

Feb 26, 2007
Hi there,

I'd like to know more about the ecoflo septic tank from people that used it, like performance and price.
I live in Ottawa, Canada, and I'd like this septic system to serve our next 3 bedrooms house.

Thanks,
Beno

Don't know anyhting about this system - I looked it up, and it appears that it is simialr to "scat" and "fast" systems; I believe at least one of these is a norinco product.

What is important in wastewater treatment is reducing/eliminating nutrients (BOD) and pathogens prior to either a surface or susbsurface discharge. If you live in an area where soils are good, you might be better off sticking with a standard septic tank/leach field system (if permitted). THese systems are designed to use the soil as a treatment media - the septic tanks reduces TSS (and BOD), with the soils removing ammonia, BOD, and pathogens. The advanced treatment systems typically are used in areas with sub-par soils, allowing the peat or other biofilter do the work that the soils would otherwise. One thing to keep in mind with these advanced bio-filters is the need for pumps - dosing pumps, discharges pumps, etc. These are electricity consumers, not necessary with a gravity system.

There are tons of gimmicky biofilters out there - most do the same thing. Look up the fast and scat systems on the net.

In any case, you will most likely require disinfection at the end - either chlorination/dechlor or UV. More maintenance and energy costs. It looks like the ecoflo simply uses a buried gravel/rock bed for effluent disposal.

I have installed (actually, my subcontractor) 3 of these systems. The last one being about 2 years ago.

We only used the EcoFlo for water front properties that could not use a conventional septic system. This is to stop effluent from leaching into the Chesapeake Bay.

Installing an EcoFlo was a last resort. Average price was about 12K USD. (Worst was 17K) The price varies because of the what type of drainfield was needed, and whether the system needed a pump chamber or not.

These are engineered systems that need maintenance. If you need electronics and a pump chamber, a maintenance contract is mandatory - and most systems come with at least a one year warranty. If I remember correctly, the annual agreement was like 150 bucks. This does not include changing the Peat Moss, which must be done about every 7 years.

The EcoFlo chamber itself is filled with Peat Moss, that acts like a filter medium. It actually creates a good environment for nature to do its work on the nasties.

The system does work, but again, its a last resort.

I assume you cannot install a convential septic.

Status
Not open for further replies.