Ecologs - any good in EPA stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys..I posted a similar question over in the woodshed but figured I would post it here as well for a few more replies.

I have a question for you. My local hardware store has a sale that ends today (too late for me I think) on boxes of eco logs. 9 logs for $4.44. They are made of hardwood fibers/dust. It says that 13 boxes is equivalent to a cord, I presume face cord. So that would mean that 39 boxes would give a real cord.

So for $173.16 I could have a “cord of hardwood†that is mess free. My question: do these logs actually work properly? Will they work in an EPA stove and heat enough? Anybody ever tried these? Will they overheat? Produce any heat?!

Thanks in advance

Andrew

I was running low on wood this spring (winter lasted forever here) so I tried a couple of boxes by mixing 'em in with the real thing.

The 3 hour ones are good for over nights. I burned them in my Dutch West w/cat, no problems. Actually, I plan on getting some more to add to this years burn I liked them that much. I've never burned with them exclusively, just added one every now and then.

There was a very recent post about a warped baffle that the owner had used bio bricks. Unsure if it was related to them, and it was an older stove. Some say pack tight and only let a little surface area burn and not the whole bundle.

Eeee....so they heat that hot eh? Dunno if I like the idea of them then. I don't wanna warp anything...anybody had any experience with them personally?

A

Status
Not open for further replies.