Econoburn 200 outdoor - door stuck shut!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodrookie

Sep 5, 2010
Central Ohio
This is embarrassing, but I have to put this out there. The door to the firebox on my outdoor Econoburn is stuck and I have run out of ideas on how to get it open. It's like it has been cemented shut. Has anyone run into this before? Thanks.

When was the last time you opened it?

Sounds like creosote from idling, mine was hard to open a few times. After heating my pool this summer all the goo burned off the door.

gg

I'm assuming your damper door opens ok, and the firebox door lever is able to be flipped down, but the door can't be pulled open. That would mean that the door has been pinned shut by some of the best epoxy in the world - creosote. Try running a propane torch all the way around the door, where it meets the boiler flange. You will also probably cook some of the gasket, but it's likely you're going to need a new one of those anyway because sections of it may remain stuck to the boiler flange, and tear. Probably would also help to work a small paint scraper under the gasket as you move around the door. Sounds like you need to do more frequent creosote removal from the door and boiler flange - I use a hyde paint scraper for that job. Good luck with it!

Hi
Mine was stuck last fall as well.It was frozen gasket had some water in it from sitting outside.I used a prybar on the edge of the door and it opened.Good Luck
Thomas

a classic symptom of too much idling and any wood boiler is going to be susceptible to it. Are you using the boiler with storage? If not, shut 'er down, it's too warm out to be running the wood boiler. If you are running with storage, decrease the size of your fuel load or let your tank temps come down before re-firing. This amount of creosote sounds pretty excessive, if it continues year after year you could see leaking inside of ten years. Curious to hear more.

Tarm Sales Guy said:
a classic symptom of too much idling and any wood boiler is going to be susceptible to it. Are you using the boiler with storage? If not, shut 'er down, it's too warm out to be running the wood boiler. If you are running with storage, decrease the size of your fuel load or let your tank temps come down before re-firing. This amount of creosote sounds pretty excessive, if it continues year after year you could see leaking inside of ten years. Curious to hear more.

I know what you are saying about excessive idling, my question is,

Does a layer in upper chamber really protect metal?

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.