Econoburn boiler and "green wood"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muncybob

Minister of Fire
Apr 8, 2008
Near Williamsport, PA
Just when I thought I was catching onto things I read the following about Econoburn:
"In fact, burning green wood with a minimum 20% water content is recommended, as the gasification process requires this moisture for optimum heat and fuel efficiency."

I realize that 21% is still fairly dry and is certainly a minimum of the quoted 20%....but is this statement implying that Econoburn boilers may be better suited to wood with higher moisture content than perhaps other boilers? This would be great for me as I expect to have a lot of fairly green wood on hand this first wood burning season.

I think we're getting into semantic problems, here. 20% mc firewood is far from "green." The range for the EKO is between 15 and 25%. I can't comment on the Econoburn because I've never run one, but I think a good rule of thumb with downdraft gasification boilers is that anything over 30% ain't gonna work--and 30% is pushing your luck.

I think the marketing folks at Econoburn are pretty creative. 20% is as dry as you'll get without extraordinary measures. The EKO is distinctly unhappy with a load of kiln dried scraps (about 15% mc) - it puffs back, because it generates too much flamable gas.

In my experience you need pretty dry (20%) wood to get it started. Once it's going, you can burn wood at 30%, and even 35% as long as you have a few drier pieces mixed in.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing about the Econoburn that makes it better able to deal with moisture than any other gasifier. IMHO, the line about needing moisture is pure marketing BS.

I would say that goes for the Tarm as well. Does not like green wood. Can burn a little if mixed with dry, but I assume some efficiency is lost as the wood is dried in the process of burning it. It sounds like spin to me.

My source at Econoburn confirms that the company no longer suggests that it's OK to burn green wood. Apparently that was part of some early marketing materials that are no longer being used. He also recommends that anyone with technical questions call the tech guys direct at 716-792-2095 rather than the toll-free number, which gets you to the sales department.

Status
Not open for further replies.