Econoburn question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdaino1

Jul 23, 2013
Charlton, NY
So yes I am a newb here but I am not new to burning wood. I grew up cutting and splitting wood with my father from the time I could walk. I now have my own place which is a 125+ yr old farm house on a hill surrounded by corn. Needless to say its windy. I have a jotul stove installed now but it just does not do the job. It is an insert since a fireplace was all I had to work with. I am planning on putting in an Econoburn EBW 100 or 150. My plan is to do it outside in an insulated 8x10 shed. That way i have a warm place to load it, rather my wife has a warm place to load it as I am away 2 nights a week. Also this will leave room for about 2 weeks worth of wood to be nice and dry. Does anyone have a similar set up??? Or does anyone else have experience with the company? I am from their home state of NY and they seem to be fairly reputable. Any input would be appreciated!!

So yes I am a newb here but I am not new to burning wood. I grew up cutting and splitting wood with my father from the time I could walk. I now have my own place which is a 125+ yr old farm house on a hill surrounded by corn. Needless to say its windy. I have a jotul stove installed now but it just does not do the job. It is an insert since a fireplace was all I had to work with. I am planning on putting in an Econoburn EBW 100 or 150. My plan is to do it outside in an insulated 8x10 shed. That way i have a warm place to load it, rather my wife has a warm place to load it as I am away 2 nights a week. Also this will leave room for about 2 weeks worth of wood to be nice and dry. Does anyone have a similar set up??? Or does anyone else have experience with the company? I am from their home state of NY and they seem to be fairly reputable. Any input would be appreciated!!

I almost did what you are thinking about but the install cost scared me away, I opted for econoburns outdoor unit, EBO-150, and built a simple wood shed right next to it which holds 2-3 months worth. Had few problems with some of the electronics (probably damaged in shipping) which they sent replacements for at no cost. I've only used it for one season so far but cant complain. Like you I was used to inserts/fireplaces, etc. There is simply no comparison to that....apples and oranges. Now I load 2x/day (in winter) and heat the house to whatever I want, all floors, DHW, etc. The one issue which I have yet to resolve is in the event of a power outage I don't have a dump zone (which you will likely install with an indoor version), just make sure you leave enough room for those as they will install on the ceiling. My backup genny is not automatic, otherwise I'd be fine. I have yet to buy a load of oil since before the install and am pretty satisfied with that. It should pay itself off in 3-5 years, and then....hopefully....its all gravy. Knock on wood.

like they all say here, don't skimp on the underground lines. I used wirsbo eco-flex which is top notch compared to some of the other "insulated" pex.

Get the wood split and stacked NOW...all of it......8 cords for starters

also you may want to beef up your house insulation, that's the low hanging fruit in some cases

Thanks for the input. I've got just over 8 cord cut and split now ranging in age from a few days to December '12. I am also looking at some traditional indoor boilers to put in a shed such as the thermo-control tc-2000 which is also made in ny. It's probably not as efficient as a gasification unit but its supposed to be pretty good. At half the price I can live with burning more wood........oh and my wood is mix of cherry ash maple and shag bark hickory

I have a similar setup but with a newer house but it is large and has a big heat load. I have an eko 40 in my 10x12 outbuilding. I don't think your proposed building size is large enough. By the time you get everything in there I only have about a weeks worth of wood storage inside. It works good enough to melt any snow off before it goes in the boiler. Definitely use thermopex or equivalent and not the bubble wrap stuff. Your idea sounds good but I think a 10x12 is absolute minimum.

Hi
I have a econoburn 200,it is the outdoor unit but i installed in a building,20x28 i believe,i also installed two 500 gal storage tanks.I didn't know if i would get the building done the first year,plus it was in stock.
I keep about 3 days wood in there nice and dry,always warm.I'v been using it as a workshop while finishing our house,then i will attach it to our garage to use some of the extra heat.
My wife loves the warm building and no mess in our house,our backup oil boiler is in there too.So we have no fire or sources of carbon monoxide in our house which is great.
Thomas

I have had a econoburn 100 for 4 seasons with a basement installation and I am very happy with the unit and the company. I live about an hour from the factory and took a trip there (its in Brockton,NY) and got a tour from Mark , and got to see first hand the boiler in various stages of construction. As far as tech support goes, Dale is top notch and has never failed to successfully answer my questions. I would highly recommend that you give them a call to set up a visit if you are close by. Its worth the trip. Bruce

Yeah I've already scratched the 8x 10 and I'm thinking more like 10x14. My buddy has a portable sawmill so I'm gonna use rough cut pine on the outside to match the barn......no ones running the thermo-control??

I have my eko 60 in a 12x20 shed with wood also stacked in abutting lean-to, I would build as large as possible. I would look into eko, a good amount less cost than econoburn and very similar. I almost bought econoburn but couldn't justify cost, no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.