Economical Source for Chimney Case Covers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renovation

Oct 26, 2010
SW MI near Saugatuck
Hi All,

As I continue to plan my install, I'm now looking for a one-piece metal chimney case cover. I'm thinking of a cover that looks like a shoebox lid, about 31" or 32" square, with a 10.25" hole with flashing in the center for the flue, and a drip edge. This would be a nice one-piece solution, unlikely to leak.

The stock ones by Selkirk and Simpson are galvanized steel and reasonably priced ($40 to $50), but not quite the dimensions I want, though I could make them work with extra pieces and accompanying risk of leakage. The others I've found through Google are custom stainless, exactly what I'm looking for, but start at about $250, which is more than I want to pay.

Can anyone suggest a more reasonably priced custom or stock piece that fits my requirements? Galvanized is fine. If there's nothing online, I'll check with my local fab shop in the spring.

Thanks for any help, and happy burning.

I'm not sure I've ever heard the term case cover. Are you looking for flashing that would go on top of an existing chimney?

Matt

I suspect, just suspect you see, that he is talking about a crown cover.

Attachments

• 1chasepic.jpg
    1chasepic.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 201
If you have a custom metalworking shop around, then you could get one custom made for much cheaper than the SS one.

RRJ22 said:
If you have a custom metalworking shop around, then you could get one custom made for much cheaper than the SS one.

Yes I do, and it's a good fallback, thanks.

1st, you WANT stainless. I have now helped on three installs, all "sort of" like mine. On every one, the galvanized chase cover was failing, none older than 12 years. Mine was actually perforated.

2nd, I found a local shop to build mine, about 24x60 with a 2" drip edge and 11" hole with 1" collar, for $200. That was the best I could do, and I shopped it pretty hard. Couple stove shops wanted as high as $800, and then would only do it if they installed it, which was extra..

Just for giggles.. price one in copper..lol

Dakotas Dad said:
1st, you WANT stainless. I have now helped on three installs, all "sort of" like mine. On every one, the galvanized chase cover was failing, none older than 12 years. Mine was actually perforated.

2nd, I found a local shop to build mine, about 24x60 with a 2" drip edge and 11" hole with 1" collar, for $200. That was the best I could do, and I shopped it pretty hard. Couple stove shops wanted as high as $800, and then would only do it if they installed it, which was extra..

Just for giggles.. price one in copper..lol

Ah, excellent feedback, thanks DD!

FWIW, the best online price I've found so far is $235 for 32" stainless, at woodlanddirect.com .

I was hoping galvanized might hold up if painted, but seeing as it's horizontal, and all the heat and environmental stress, I see your point. It would be a major PITA to tear it apart and fix it.

Speaking of that, if anyone has any nifty ideas to build in access, I'm game. But I'm thinking I'll just do it best as I can, and seal it up.

Thanks again, DD. Give that wonderful dog a pat for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.