Ecoteck Elena auger issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diesel

Jan 23, 2013
I installed a new Ecoteck Elena in late 2009. Stove has been flawless up until two days ago when I was awoken by "Pellets Finished" alarm, which was odd since the hopper was full. It turns out, the auger sounds like it is having trouble turning/labored. It essentially tries to turn for about a second, then stops. There is an error code for "Auger Blocked", but the fore-mentioned code was displaying instead. I inspected the auger up through the drop tube, cleared out any visible pellets I thought were jammed without avail. This evening I'm going to open up the unit. Questions: Has anybody had any issues with their auger and/or replaced one? Does anyone have the model # of the auger? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

It uses a standard Merkle-Korff AC Gear-motor, 2.4 RPM. I have the part number and direction of rotation info at home, so I will have to update this post later tonight. The 2.4 RPM is based on my observation/measurement on my Elena.

I have been burning now for 2 years, probably about 3.5 tons total thru my stove to-date, and have not had any issues, auger or otherwise.

The "Auger Blocked" error code described in the Ecoteck User Manual is not applicable to our Elena stoves, as we do not have the (apparently optional ?) RPM sensor installed on our auger motors (at least mine does not), so we will never see that error message displayed. The Pellets Finished alarm makes sense, as a dead auger will cause the flame to burn-out, and the dropping exhaust temperature is what triggers the Pellets Finished alarm.

PM me your email, and I can send you the Factory Technical Manual (which is not really a service manual, but is more tech info as to how the stove works).

Only way to be sure you found the problem is to empty the hopper, remove the auger motor AND pull the auger too. Check for a pellet jam....look up into the auger tube w/ a flashlight and make sure it looks clean. Maybe hook the auger motor to direct 120v ac (INSULATE THE WIRING!!!), to be sure it runs smoothly

I heard the OP found a rock (!!) that jammed his auger.....nice quality control from his pellet brand (Western Elite). Sounds like his auger motor survived this!

NJ is correct. The auger actually began grinding into the rock. Definitely a tough motor/auger. After removing the plate within the hopper that sits above the auger, I was able to dislodge the rock. Put everything back into the stove, back to normal operation. If there is a next time, I will begin by sucking out all pellets in the hopper first. Thanks for everyone's help. Below is the scenario. DSC_0171.JPG
C:\Users\rrb4946\Downloads

New difinition of "Between a rock and hard place",Pellet stove style!
If you had a choice between the Elna or a Sofia, which one would you choose? Both are for sale here in state for about 2k.

Elena has a bigger hopper (76 lbs), rated at 48,000 BTU max
The Sofia has a smaller (55 lbs) hopper, but is rated at 50,000 BTU max.

I would go (and did) for the bigger hopper, and the more contemporary look of the Elena. The Sofia looks more Euro traditional, with the ceramic-tile clad exterior.

Bioburner: Do you have any contact info for the 2K Ecoteck?

I heard the OP found a rock (!!) that jammed his auger.....nice quality control from his pellet brand (Western Elite). Sounds like his auger motor survived this!
If it were me, I'd be right on the phone to them and complain about their quality control.....might even get a free ton out of the conversation.

A large sale of stoves last year at Auction house and slowly the people who got them are trying to unload. Still favoring the Bosca but after meeting the CPA about taxes will have to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.