Ecoteck Firex replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwinn001

Jan 11, 2014
Western Massachusetts
IMG_2147.JPG Hello , I’m new to the form and have a Ecoteck Francesca. The Firex is starting to look a little ragged and I anticipate having to replace it before next winter. My question is have any of the Ecoteck owners on the Form replaced the Firex and if so how difficult or easy was it.

Last edited:
Lake girl seems to know how to do a complete tare down of Ecotecks. Been very active here so will probably chime in soon. She has 2 Elenas.

Welcome to the forum... We like pics of stoves!
How old is the stove? Has the Firex ever been removed ie cleaning combustion chamber? Screws on two metal strips at front of fire box have 3 metric screws each (can't remember the head - Edit: T10 and T15 with my stove tools). Two of these stripped on ours (carefully drilled out), along with a lot of the other screws in various spots. I went on a mission and bought all new stainless screws with a Phillips head to replace. Screw size that works is 4mm x 6mm for the strips and 5mm x 10mm for the others on the body (Menards). The center back is held by a bolt and plate - metric 8 - same as inspection ports. Remove screws, metal strips, bolt and plate. Sides come out first - one at a time gently pull top toward center when you can pull up slightly to clear metal tabs, remove. Lots of ash collects back there.

I've been wondering on the lifespan as well but no guidelines in the manual and old distributor no longer in business.

Last edited:
Messed up - there are only two screws on those strips - bought 6 of the smaller sized screws so I would have some spares. Just cleaned out so I checked;)

Messed up - there are only two screws on those strips - bought 6 of the smaller sized screws so I would have some spares. Just cleaned out so I checked;)
Hey Lake Girl,maybe someone will make steel replacement panels like they did for the older st croix stoves.Went for a while and could not get them,but now can get both,steel or firex/ceraboard.Put steel ones in sisters st croix,noticed no operating differences.

Not likely to see a replacement for these as they were developed by Ecoteck. They are vermiculite based which just got me wondering if asbestos contamination is a concern... I know Zonolite home insulation was a past problem because of asbestos contamination of the vermiculate from the Libby Mine in Montana (closed 1990s).

Ravelli uses firex 600,asbestos free,they don't make it.Ceraboard almost the same thing.Yeh could tell you some stories about libby.

Ecoteck parts are availible from North Forge Heating, Annville PA, (talk to Barry (717) 867 1744). Barry has lots of Ecoteck parts in-stock, and shipped them out within a week.

I have thought about buying a spare set of the Firex for my Elena.

Mine is looking a little worn too, but I don't think you have to replace it unless it completly cracks and breaks thru, exposing the metal firebox wall behind it.

Any idea on how much for one? Already hit budget hard repairing one stove and this winter is probably going to make us get some more fuel.

Ravelli uses firex 600,asbestos free,they don't make it.Ceraboard almost the same thing.Yeh could tell you some stories about libby.

Guess I should have said "developed for Ecoteck/Ravelli". ;lol From literature statement, spent R&D dollars on it...

Reactions: Mt Bob
No I’ve never removed the firex when cleaning. The only screws or bolts I could find securing the Firex was a single one that holds the rear flame trap support and goes through the Firex most likely into the metal casting behind it. It appears to be one of the metric 8 as found on the inspection ports, however it’s no longer hex pretty much rounded. I can find nothing else holding the firex. I’m beginning to think that changing out the Firex may be a huge can of worms. Anybody got any suggestions????

Just inside of the door jam is the screws, four, high and low.DSCN0360.JPG

I think your Firex would be good for many more seasons. It is just some surface wear, I think it is about a half inch thick.

My Francesca does not have the metal channel as shown in Bioburner’s photo. Just the blunt end of the Firex exposed. I attempted a few easy tugs on it and it was very solid. Something Is holding it but I don’t know what. Maybe before next winter someone on this form will change out the Firex on a Francesca and post how they did it.

Shoot us some pictures. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I'll take some photos tomorrow when I shut down for a cleaning

Guess I should have said "developed for Ecoteck/Ravelli". ;lol From literature statement, spent R&D dollars on it...
Thanks for correcting me.You may be able to obtain parts through an EU stove shop,I had to do that years ago when austroflamm when through the phase of not shipping any parts to the US for political reasons.Had a part shipped from england.

Ecoteck / Ravelli parts are easily available here in the USA, from North Forge Heating, Annville PA, (717) 867 1744..........

Just got some measurements of the Firex backwall and it is 1.2 inches thick. Should have wear for many years. Cleaned a lot of ash out which is really a good insulator. Weather has us stuck inside with snow and very cold.

I'll take some photos tomorrow when I shut down for a cleaning
When you open it up, look to see if there are screw holes along the metal door frame on the body of the stove (not on the door). While there is a difference between the Elena Air and the Elena in how the firex is secured at the front of the combustion chamber, they both have the metal strips. Are they missing on the Francesca or was it something added later due to potential breakage points?

Thanks for the reminder I need to get replacement bolts for the inspection ports and firex! Stainless seems to be holding up better than the original screws...

The ash tray can maybe handle 3 bags. Since the stove sits where everyone sees it we clean the firebox weekly. Don't need to burn it but maybe an hour in morning and evening as basement Harman system handles most of the load. Nice to have a good fire with coffee and gets the upstairs back to 70. Monthly LBT or when start to have ignition troubles. We changed from hardwood pellets to horse bedding pellets, aspen pine blend and almost no fines in December so no real true bag count on cleaning cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.