Ecoteck Issue - Why you shouldn't buy from anyone going out of business

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smwilliamson said:
I Have a customer who took advantage of Northland Distribution's clearance sale of Ecotecks. Northland was the importer and distributor for Ecoteck, but is filing for bankruptcy protection. While all new stoves come with warranty from the manufacturer, the new distributor is NOT honoring any warranty claims from Northland.

Here are the issues the stove I looked at yesterday.

Very shotty welds. The weld for the door seal flange was in the way of the door hinge causing the door not to seal in the upper left corner....so we had to cut the hinge to get it to lay flat. The ash drawer will not close because the welds for the pass throughs are too high...so we had to grind those down. Lastly, the door striker would not close the microswitch for the door because the hnager for the Mojelica panels were mounted too far forward, so those needed to be relocated. Not bad for a $4200.00 stove.

Oh...one more thing....the burnpot expanded on the first fire and could not be removed from the air box. During our investigation we found 4 machine screws that were completely stripped within the frame of the stove. Nice.

$365.00 service call to go through the stove and get it to work properly.

Hi Scott

What model Ecotek did he purchase and how much did he save??

PA_Clinker said:
It was probably "built on a Monday". %-P

Pelleting In NJ said:
I also bought an Ecoteck from Northland. Mine is working perfectly, and the construction quality is first rate. These stoves are made in Italy. I can't imagine how this seemingly one example of a crappy problematic Ecoteck was born????? I suspected that my warrantee may be essentially non-existent when I bought mine a few months ago, but I can deal with fixing these things, and was wiling to accept that for the significant discount on the price. The only real replacement part problem might be the control board...there is no way to get one through aftermarket channels....

No, I think It was built on Friday afternoon after a big Layoff!!!!

Don2222 said:
PA_Clinker said:
It was probably "built on a Monday". %-P

Pelleting In NJ said:
I also bought an Ecoteck from Northland. Mine is working perfectly, and the construction quality is first rate. These stoves are made in Italy. I can't imagine how this seemingly one example of a crappy problematic Ecoteck was born????? I suspected that my warrantee may be essentially non-existent when I bought mine a few months ago, but I can deal with fixing these things, and was wiling to accept that for the significant discount on the price. The only real replacement part problem might be the control board...there is no way to get one through aftermarket channels....

No, I think It was built on Friday afternoon after a big Layoff!!!!

I purchased an Ecoteck Elena at auction for $1100.00 dollars. Granted I don't have a warranty, but at that price who needs one. It's been working fine. In fact it was one on Northland Distributing stoves that the bank took.

They are great looking stoves...And admittedly, I have not seen one in person. But I do think that the retro styling/bright coloring may limit their marketplace. We have a "country" styled home, and while I do like the Ferrari red on my computer monitor, and possibly on a future sports car purchase...I just don't picture it in my living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.