Edging around raised hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I'm planning on replacing our gas insert with a Regency I3100 fairly soon. We have a raised hearth which has a steel frame with cement board on top at about 14" off the floor. The raised portion is approx 16" deep. I'm hoping to add a nice slab of granite or possibly some slate tiles (depends on wife's preference). I'll also be ripping up the HW floor and installing some tiles to come at least 30" into the room.

I'd like to put something around the outer edge of the raised hearth to keep the odd embers that I spill from rolling off onto the floor and scurrying off onto the HW. I'm thinking of a small piece of granite or slate to run around the perimeter. What woudl I use to "glue" that to the granite / slate knowing that it's going to get rather hot with the insert sitting about 15" away from the edge of the hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.