** EDIT** EXTREME COLD!! WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? NOW THATS ITS GONE HOW DID YOU DO?? WHAT WOULD YO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-14 tonight and -17 tomorrow night. That is before the windchills. Schools are definitely closing. Guess the gas and oil companies are making their dividends this next few days.

Is this real they close the schools with weather at -15 degrees... jeesh time to toughen them kids and facality up. We have never had a closed day of school for weather like that and our school bus fleet is mostly diesels as well.

well i was off today and have been feeding her a couple of splits at a time with air open more and i am ok still in a heatwave though as it got up to 18 today!!
i am dying for that cold to come tonight to push this baby
tomorrows high will be 10-16 oh well not the minus stuff i was hoping for... so long DAY AFTER TOMORROW we missed you again

They have only closed school once here due to extreme cold. cant have those walkers walk in that stuff I guess

Its not that bad here really, I think 1 time every few years it happens. Schools here also rarely close for snow...we need 12 plus inches to even consider it!

I will keep doing what I do normally feed the wood stove or be cold. There is no other source of heat in my house :)

struggle said:
Is this real they close the schools with weather at -15 degrees... jeesh time to toughen them kids and facality up. We have never had a closed day of school for weather like that and our school bus fleet is mostly diesels as well.

Around here they close schools when the temp or wind chill hits -30. Never did that when I was in school.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
They have only closed school once here due to extreme cold. cant have those walkers walk in that stuff I guess

its a liability for the schools thats why they do god forbid a bus doesn't in the morning or all the buses take longer and then kids waiting an extra 30 for the bus gets frostbitten=== lawsuit... it happened here about 8 yrs ago windchill was like -30 outta 400 buses like 170 didn't start kids got stranded frostbitten and so forth= big mess on top of that a couple of boilers broke/froze or something they were down 170 buses and had to send home 2 schools! they called in the public trans to help but it was a mess!!
thats in turn screwed up schedules to take kids home in the afternoon ...now when it get colds like this they shut down or at least delay them 2 hrs....

I fired up the furnace(1954-original to the house) and set it to 60. Load in the am to bring temp in house up to 70. Load in afternoon, to get house
temp up. I like it around 68, but the stove puts out way too much heat for that. House is 75 right now, load at 8 pm, load at 11 pm,
and by 7 am the house will drop to about 65. Miss the 11 pm load, and the furnace will come on. I find more value in sleeping the night than
having the furnace run from about 3 am to 7 am.

My regency insert is really throwing out some serious heat. The living room on the first floor , the room furthest away from the insert was 72 last night at bedtime. The den where the insert is located was in the 80's. The first floor is 1200 sq. ft. Second floor is comfy at 60-62 Good for sleeping. I couldn't be happier with this addition to our home. I have alot of trees down from the ice storm back on 12/2/08 that will keep me busy this spring. Free wood! Stay warm everyone.....Jim

Todd said:
struggle said:

Around here they close schools when the temp or wind chill hits -30. Never did that when I was in school.

Same here. School will be closed tomorrow. Forecast now is for -21 below low tomorrow and -22 below low for Friday.
I'm hoping the wind chill is not as bad on Friday; otherwise, my kids will be off school for five days including Martin Luther
King's Day.

Was up in Goose Bay, Labrador last January. They close their primary / elementary schools when it hits -45C = - 49F, and the high school closes at -55C = -67(including windchill). They closed both for most of the week I was there.

northwinds said:
Todd said:
struggle said:

Same here. School will be closed tomorrow. Forecast now is for -21 below low tomorrow and -22 below low for Friday.
I'm hoping the wind chill is not as bad on Friday; otherwise, my kids will be off school for five days including Martin Luther
King's Day.

What is odd about this is we have -30 degree wind chills and think nothing of it, but they will close school on days we only get 4" of snow so go figure. We right now have -6 and wind chill of -28 so it is only going to be worse come tomorrow when we wake to -21.

First time I'll have to use my FHW Oil heat on a schedule since installing the stove. I have programmable thermostats from before the stove. I set them to come on twice a day for a 10 minute cycle. This should keep them from freezing. I also store enough wood on my covered deck for Sun through Sat. I just went out a loaded up the wheelbarrel and it's in the basement just in case I use more than the normal weekly amount before Saturday arrives.

Enjoy the flame!

I wish I could do it on the insert alone.. I will certainly give it the old college try and no doubt burn a good amount of my seasoned stash..

builder said:
ashpanannie,-14? Where are you located? Ihave a place in Oak Hill,hope the renters keep the pipes warm. Don

Hello builder!

I am about 30 miles from Oak Hill over in Nicholas. Yes, the temp here is going to be hitting that minus 14 to minus 16 mark the next few nights. You might want to call your renters and tell them to leave a faucet drip a bit! Good luck!

Never did that when I was in school.
This could be a whole new topic in itself. Keep it humorous or it would become too depressing.

Im glad i have a small house(JUST UNDER 1000SQ)And my stove is right in the middle,on a normal nite like tonite (23 degrees) im at 80 degrees throughout the house keeping the fire pretty low.....Its supposed to get 0 here on friday,just gotta keep an eye on the crawlspace under my kitchen.......Got a remote temp sensor down there...First year in this house without running the heater yet!

Oil burner was running this evening when I got home from work. Threw some newspaper and kindling, with three big logs, into the wood boiler, struck a match and turned on the combustion blower. Then I went upstairs to the living room, cleaned the ash pan and did the same thing to the insert... two wood fire night tonight. My apartment was down to 55 when I got home... it's now 73 in the bedroom on the far rear end of the house, and 85 in the living room.

Wood boiler is cranking at 185 degrees, and seems to hold a fire much, much, longer with the barometric damper installed... will be borrowing a draft gauge and "setting" it officially this coming weekend. For now, it's just all the way to the minimum and seems to be working fine. No smell, no smoke, no more huffing and puffing. Comes up to temperature faster and recovers faster.

I like it...

Only 5 below or so here tonight. "This aint my first rodeo...." Happens every year. This year is the first time I have had to sit here listening to an oil burner run all darned night trying to keep the apartments upstairs warm.

Set alarm for 1:30, get up, drink some water, bathroom, wood, back to bed.

My gas furnace kicks in every morning after the wood burns down to coals. Beats waking up to a cold house and it's better on the house and furniture to keep the temps stable. The furnace is also what the humidifier runs on. For about $2 a day, it's a small price to pay to keep the wife happy.

As for closing schools these days, waddup widdat? I had a walk a mile every day to catch the bus in all kinds of weather. Didn't have a shelter to wait in either.

I've got -1 right now and 78 at my first floor. Supposed to go to around -15 tonight. I'll load the castine before bed time and by 6am it'll be somewhere around 65. I'm loving this stove.

As for closing schools these days, waddup widdat? I had a walk a mile every day to catch the bus in all kinds of weather. Didn't have a shelter to wait in either.

You forgot to mention it was both ways uphill in your bare feet.

Well thursday and Friday its suposed to be as low as 6 degree's . I'll bring up extra wood for the week. I can keep the fisrt floor around 74 and upstairs at 65.

The oil furnace will come on 2-3 times after the fire dies out . Then I'll fire up the stove at 7 am just like every morning !

Status
Not open for further replies.