Edjumacate me please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

some guy

May 3, 2015
North Texas
I don't want to start another "what to buy thread" but the stickies for stove info are looping me and not opening. Plus I don't want a stove anyhow. Looking to buy a zero clearance wood burning fireplace. Originally wanted to go masonry, but can't support the weight in the location needed.
The particulars:
We live pretty for south (Dallas area) and our house is well insulated.
The fireplace is more for ambiance and special occasions (THXG, Xmas) than for actual heating.
Will probably be in the house about 6-8 more years.

The questions:
I see units for sale in various places around the net. Different mfgs have the same pics? All made by same parent co?
What are you getting in value as you step up the line in quality with the same mfg? Metal thickness or?
Some places I look have the same pics for the cheap units as they do the more expensive ones and the descriptions are totally lacking. What is a good middle of the road budget?

I guess what I am really asking is what to AVOID and why. Most of the reviews I can find center around efficiency and burn rates etc. That is good info but just not much of an issue here. Sometimes we go outside in shorts and T-shirts around new years. Santa leaves his suit at home and shows up in his underwear.....

Looking for a quality unit without breaking the bank. Radiant is fine, circulation not needed.

Last edited:
I would talk to a couple of local home builders and see who they use for their pre-fab ZC fireplace installations and see what they have to offer.

BB - Who lived in Arlington, TX for a long time and drove the builder nuts because I wouldn't let him put one in my new house because a wood stove was installed the day after closing in 1977.

Thx BG and BB. Good articles and info. If I had more floor space a stove would be cool. But impractical in this case.

So am I correct in assuming the pre-fab builder type boxes are pretty much the same and the increasing price levels don't really add corresponding value? Without naming names and prices....

There are some structural and quality differences. Some of the cheapest units can be quite flimsy. Also some come with doors and others don't, etc..

Sounds possible, but I haven't looked at the basic units for a long time. Asking a couple local contractors what they are installing is a good place to start.

I'm thinking if you turn it on only occasionally, why not go with a NG or propane unit? Around here, there are very popular and cheaper overall than a wood version. With wood ZC, a lot of the cost is going to be the chimney.

LOL... because I'm married and it's cheaper to keep her.....
Good reason.

The other thought is that you can put up a wall of thin stone, also called stone veneer on just about any wall with no structural weight. You can remove the drywall above/around the ZC unit, install a sheet of durock and the stone veneer is glued to the durock using mortar. Some of them are real stone, cut thin and some are colored cement. The results can be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.