Educate me on the use if a bypass damper.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey517

Burning Hunk
Dec 27, 2010
Highland Lakes, New Jersey
I inherited a 1980's vintage Tasso AO-3 wood boiler. I believe it is equipped with a bypass damper on the upper right rear, and is operated by turning the lever shown in the photo. In the photo, it is in the open position.

I have recently read that once the fire is going good, this bypass should be closed down to allow the smoke to be recirculated and burned again. I read that this will be a more efficient way to burn, and will reduce my wood consumption.

Nowhere in the Tasso documentation is there any mention of the bypass, let alone instruction for its use. I really could use some schooling here.

Thanks, Mike
sega8y4e.jpg

Last edited:
I dont know that the damper there is a bypass damper, but perhaps just a flue damper? Something you would close down if you had too much draw up the chimney? Sorry I cant offer any other advice, Im just not familiar with your boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.