EDUCATING THE PUBLIC!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Thank you everyone for all you have taught me. In turn, I find myself in a position to help others. Today, one of my staff who bought a home here in NH this summer commented that she had a woodstove in her living room. She was thinking they'd probably use it some this winter but had never used one before. She said it had "Hearthstone" written on it and it was a pretty stove as far as wood stoves go. I'm thinking she probably has some old smoke dragon and it turns out she has a Hearthstone Heritage in her living room! Doesn't even know what she's got. I explained a bit about it to her, showed her Hearthstone's website and the pdf manual. She said her husband would just want to shove wood in it cause "he knows everything" We had a discussion about overfiring, what the stove was really designed for, dry firewood vs burning the maple they just cut down a month ago etc. Will she become a wood burning afficianado? Probably not, but at least she'll have a reasonable idea of do's and don'ts and that they as operators can make a big difference in using a stove that they could end up loving. She said they needed a new oil tank. With a smile I told her that with that stove, they really didn't. I know most of you are at least as passionate about stoves and wood burning as I am. Craig has created a great vehicle in this site for sharing information with others and many people are finding it. There are so many people out there with so little idea of what wood burning really is all about, from safety to economy to practical methods and all the way to the overall enjoyment of the entire experience. For all of us there is so much opportunity every day to just help people learn. I for one, love doing that. Imagine that, "yeah I have a woodstove, don't know anything about it except it says "Hearthstone" on it....!"

I live in an area that basically is few people burn wood so that is really cool that you were able to give this person a head in the right direction.

It clearly is different from the east coast to the midstates where wood burning just does not take place. Most all my neighbors know we heat with wood but seem to not realize how effective it is for heating. There loss.

At least this way I have no competition for getting wood :lol:

Wow, now why doesn't that happen to me! The Heritage in my opinion is Hearthstones finest and most versatile stove. Make sure you tell them the importance of the break-in fires before serious use each season. Soapstone can collect a lot of moisture over the summer in rainy & humid New England, last year during my break-in fires my soapstone started sweating, then started dripping! There was probably a cup of water that came out of the soapstone during my break in. Had I assumed it remained dry over the summer since I last burned in spring and loaded it up as normal that cup of water in the soapstone would've turned into steam and probably blown the soapstone apart to escape. That showed me the importance of break in fires every year.

This year appears to be dry, I have 1 more break in fire and not even seen signs of them sweating.

Rhonemas said:
Wow, now why doesn't that happen to me! The Heritage in my opinion is Hearthstones finest and most versatile stove. Make sure you tell them the importance of the break-in fires before serious use each season. Soapstone can collect a lot of moisture over the summer in rainy & humid New England, last year during my break-in fires my soapstone started sweating, then started dripping! There was probably a cup of water that came out of the soapstone during my break in. Had I assumed it remained dry over the summer since I last burned in spring and loaded it up as normal that cup of water in the soapstone would've turned into steam and probably blown the soapstone apart to escape. That showed me the importance of break in fires every year.

This year appears to be dry, I have 1 more break in fire and not even seen signs of them sweating.
Funny you mentioned that. After a wrote the original post, I was thinking about things we hadn't discussed and went and talked with her again about a break in fire or two, checking the chimney out and making sure the stove had been installed correctly by previous owners. So I'm hearing that if you had been looking for a house, you would have walked in, seen the Heritage, and said "I'll take this house" :lol:

Minor detail - Even if the stove says "Heritage" on it, it MAY still be an "Old smoke dragon" - there were at least two different versions of the Heritage. The new models are wonderful stoves, efficient, good heaters, clean burners and all the other things people love.

I have not burned one of the older Pre-EPA Heritages, but there are a lot of them out there, and by most reports they fall in the "smoke dragon" zone, perhaps good as SD's go, but still an SD. They had some efforts at clean burning but nothing that really worked. They had a little door with a small window that offered a poor view of the fire and tended to carbon up pretty fast, etc.

The most visible difference from the pictures I've seen is to look at the door frame and the front sides of the stove. The modern stoves the door frame is big and almost touches the front corners, there is a narrow strip of soapstone between the door frame and the corner castings, but it's barely visible. The older stoves have a large gap between the frame and the corners, looks like it's 2-3" wide...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Minor detail - Even if the stove says "Heritage" on it, it MAY still be an "Old smoke dragon" - there were at least two different versions of the Heritage. The new models are wonderful stoves, efficient, good heaters, clean burners and all the other things people love.

I have not burned one of the older Pre-EPA Heritages, but there are a lot of them out there, and by most reports they fall in the "smoke dragon" zone, perhaps good as SD's go, but still an SD. They had some efforts at clean burning but nothing that really worked. They had a little door with a small window that offered a poor view of the fire and tended to carbon up pretty fast, etc.

The most visible difference from the pictures I've seen is to look at the door frame and the front sides of the stove. The modern stoves the door frame is big and almost touches the front corners, there is a narrow strip of soapstone between the door frame and the corner castings, but it's barely visible. The older stoves have a large gap between the frame and the corners, looks like it's 2-3" wide...

Gooserider
Good point Goose, I'll have her check further. Wouldnt another clue be the secondary burn system on the roof of the firebox?

jpl1nh said:
Gooserider said:

Gooserider
Good point Goose, I'll have her check further. Wouldnt another clue be the secondary burn system on the roof of the firebox?

Perhaps, I'm not familiar enough with the innards of either model to say for sure. However that exterior space between the door frame and the stove edge is a really obvious "tell at a glance" approach and it works really well since just about any picture of the stove will show the front of it...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.