eeek hot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreggB

Dec 8, 2005
Had my Castine running around 800F/850F for about an hour with the damper shut all the way. Only thing I did different is I used wood that was left over in the basement from last winter, wood was dry but not punky. I suppose I'll save that stuff for campfires only have about an 1/8 of cord of the stuff. Any potential stove damage, anything in particular to look at?
Chimney is new class A. Was disconcerting for a bit and hot.

GreggB said:
Had my Castine running around 800F/850F for about an hour with the damper shut all the way. Only thing I did different is I used wood that was left over in the basement from last winter, wood was dry but not punky. I suppose I'll save that stuff for campfires only have about an 1/8 of cord of the stuff. Any potential stove damage, anything in particular to look at?

Rest. That stove can take 850 in stride.

jesus, how do you get those temps? I can't get much over 500 with my F3CB and thats using kiln dried wood with both air inlets wide open. Burns through the wood real fast.

wahoowad said:
jesus, how do you get those temps? I can't get much over 500 with my F3CB and thats using kiln dried wood with both air inlets wide open. Burns through the wood real fast.

There is your hint ;)

BTW
He also lost in Denver tonight :(

Gibbs , race car, too much draft?

GreggB said:

Our stove would easily run away with dry wood if we didn't have a butterfly damper in the stack due to strong draft. Especially when we burn fir. Is it possible to install one in the stove pipe?

Hi Gregg,

I had my Castine up to 875 a few weeks ago. How? I do not know. I loaded it up and walked away. I smelled it in the other part of the house. Got back and it was 875. No damage and was never able to reproduce that burn.

600 - 700 is doable. Takes a while with good wood and frequent relaoding on hot coals.

Carpniels

Here's some tips of what I've found helps.

Dry wood

The positioning of the wood. If you want hotter fires, load your wood front/back as the air wash and air flow will have the wood get really hot and burn fast. If you want to extend the burn (as for overnight) but less heat per hour put it in side/side. Unlike front/back that lets air and flames travel through all the wood unhindered loading side/side blocks the air coming off your air wash from spreading the fire all through the wood slowing down its burn.

Learn how to pack your wood. Make it loose piles of wood so flames can go all the way up from the bottom and reach the secondary burn up top unhindered. I pack mine in two piles with a 3/4" space between (and I have to load it side/side). If you pack it so tight or block flames reaching the secondary burn you're missing out on the secondary burn high temps.

The more wood, the more heat. Pack it to the gills with small pieces of wood with good spaces. You'll get it hot.

Sometimes, everything goes right. I know exactly what carpniels is talking about and sometimes you just can't repeat the burn. I loaded my unit once, walked away, and it got so hot and heated my house so much the shrink plastic I put over my windows shrunk within 3 rooms of the insert, and I had to open windows as the damn thing was almost glowing red and the strangest part was it wasn't like the fire looked any different than any other fire I've had. Lasted a long time too. I haven't been able to repeat that burn either, if I could I'd probably be able to heat my house with only a cord or two of wood.

BeGreen said:
GreggB said:

Our stove would easily run away with dry wood if we didn't have a butterfly damper in the stack due to strong draft. Especially when we burn fir. Is it possible to install one in the stove pipe?

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I can put a damper in, as I have double wall stovepipe straight up into a class a chimney(all excel products). Stove has been fine since, I guess it was dry wood and a bit of wind and whatever else. I have been burning the really dry stuff mixed with my regular one year old wood without a problem. FYI Stove heats up to 550-650 within a half hour of loading then I run it half damped for 15 min. then down to either 20% or so damped or all the way closed for the night that gives 45o-550. Usually all the way closed will have secondary burn going for at least an hour(then I'm off to bed so I don't know how long it lasts).

Status
Not open for further replies.