EF3801 and Crabbe Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKG

Nov 13, 2013
Maine
All-

I have an Easy Fire 3801 and just purchased 2 tons of Crabbe pellets on the recommendation of a few people. I also recently undertook a substantial cleaning which hadn't been done for at least a year. I began using the new pellets and things were working great, but yesterday after putting in the second bag of these new pellets the pellets began getting ground into saw dust in the auger. I emptied all the pellets, cleaned the saw dust in the auger and ran the stove again over night. When I woke up this morning the temperature was not nearly at the setting (it has never had trouble running in the past) and the auger was again full of saw dust. Has anyone experienced this before? Is it the stove? The pellets? Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1. Pellets did not get wet did they?
2. Buy a bag of something else and see it the same thing happens.

I bought two tons also. I did notice a few of the pellets seem longer. Check to see if the pellets are too long. They might be binding up the auger.

I've noticed some are long. I try to break them up when I see them. Any other suggestions? I get built up saw dust that clogs the auger and the stove barely makes it running through the night.

Seems strange you'd get that much dust it will stop your stove. Your auger might need some kind of adjustment. Or when pouring in the pellets try not to dump in the dust from the bottom of the bag....

Sounds like wet pellets. Any swollen pellets in there. Grab a few handfuls and squeeze. If they have been exposed to dampness, they'll crumble.

I vacuumed the auger area, put in a new bag (not wet) and within an hour the auger was full of dust.

Almost sounds like the top of your auger tube is jammed. Are you sure there are no obstructions?

If all is clear try a bag of different pellets and see if that solves your problem.

---Nailer---

It was the pellets. I bought a few bags of hardwood pellets and they are working great. Thanks for the advice and assistance.

Reactions: mralias
I burned 1 bag Crabbes, burned dirty in my stove.

It was the pellets. I bought a few bags of hardwood pellets and they are working great. Thanks for the advice and assistance.
Lesson learned...Buy a bag or 2 of a new to you brand and try them before committing to tons worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.