Efel Arden Stove Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabbypatty

Nov 22, 2008
Western MA
A friend of mine just recently bought a house and wants to heat the basement with a wood stove. He purchased a used efel arden stove and talked me into fluing it for him. I flued it yesterday into an existing fireplace. I removed the damper assembly and fabricated a block off plate. We cleaned and inspected the chimmney before we installed the flue pipe. We finished up and started a celebratory fire. I have never run a stove quite like this and I am used to a vermont castings defiant which iI grew up running, and now my encore which I heat my home with, at least on weekends.
It doesn't have a damper, yet it is gasketed like an airtite stove. It does have a air intake control to regulate the burn. It can be used with coal or wood.

My questions are, so far:
Does anyone have one of these stoves and can you give me any tips as to how to run it.
The previous owner gave him the old flue pipe and i was suprised to see it had a barometric damper in the pipe, we installed new pipe and no barometric, does it need one?
Should I install a damper in the flue pipe to keep some heat from going up the chimmney?

Thanks in advance!

TTT
Funny how this board gets kinda busy this time of year

I assume this stove is very similar to my old wonderwood, except it is cast iron instead of sheet metal.

From what I understand a barometric damper is nessisarry for coal, but not wood, am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.