Efel coal users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2005
I have an Efel Harmony, works great. I love the auto damper. The only problem is that the grate shaker system does not seem that good to me. Does anyone agree?

How long do you shake, is your shaking time measured in seconds or min?
I like the small window under the glass door for inserting the poker at grate level, but i wish it would shake down better.

Any comments?

JM

I have an Efel Harmony, works great. I love the auto damper. The only problem is that the grate shaker system does not seem that good to me. Does anyone agree?

How long do you shake, is your shaking time measured in seconds or min?
I like the small window under the glass door for inserting the poker at grate level, but i wish it would shake down better.

Any comments?

JM

The poker/knife method works better in general than many shakers. Ideally, get a flat poker/knife with a hooked end so you can reach over the sides better. I'm certain Woodsmans Associates has these as they were (I think) the original Efel or Surdiac design.

Maybe a little grate action after a good knifing, if at all.

The stove did not come with a poker but I made one from small diameter steel rod which i put a hook on.
I think my real problem is a lot of clinkers. I am burning Nut but i think i will switch to Pea.
The stove grate looks like it is for pea.
The manual says anything larger that bean. or 12/22 antracite or 20/30 anthricite. (I dont know what siz this 12/2 or 20/30 is)
One of my problems is that it is just to warm here in the northeast to burn coal. Feb 3, 58 degrees F.

JM

yeah it's been tought up here for burning coal.

I don't see how changing sizes would greatly affect clinker formation. They're a product of impurities in the coal. I'd personally suggest buying someone elses coal

The stove did not come with a poker but I made one from small diameter steel rod which i put a hook on.
I think my real problem is a lot of clinkers. I am burning Nut but i think i will switch to Pea.
The stove grate looks like it is for pea.
The manual says anything larger that bean. or 12/22 antracite or 20/30 anthricite. (I dont know what siz this 12/2 or 20/30 is)
One of my problems is that it is just to warm here in the northeast to burn coal. Feb 3, 58 degrees F.

JM

Check the sizes out as being mm and see if it makes some kind of sense.

It could be the coal. I am only on my second batch of 600lbs.
The first 600lbs I bought seem to have way less clinker formation.
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of options for getting coal here in RI

ohh, when you said northeast, I assumed pennsylvania. I imagine it might be tough in RI and you might have to do whatever you can to avoid clinkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.