Effect of ceiling panels on circulating air to different floors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RISurfer20

May 12, 2007
I plan on installing a floating ceiling system in my basement. My wood stove is located down there and does heat my home well. My concern is how difficult will it be to heat the floor above if I do install ceiling panels or ceiling tiles? My first floor has a lot of ceramic tile which heats up nicely. Or will the panels and tiles not effect the warm air flow? I also worry that the warm air will not rise through the floor if I place ceiling panels or tiles in place. Any advice, experience or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

The panels gotta have some insulating qualities, how about a fan blowing up and one blowing down?

Seems to me that you will, in effect, create an insulating air blanket between your false ceiling and the structural ceiling. Given enough time, it'll all heat up, but you'll probably notice that it takes a good deal longer to feel the heat on the floor upstairs. Anything you can do to disturb that air blanket up there (in the way of forced convection/mixing with the air in the room directly beneath, where the stove is located) may help some. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.