Effect of woodburning on insurance rates?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Willhound

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2005
Northern Ontario, Canada
Well, I just returned from my insurance agent, and as a result of my attempt to save natural gas $$$ this winter, my house insurance is rising by 15%.

I'll still have some significant savings, but now not as much as I hoped. I knew that the new insert install might cause an increase, but I was thinking that the new, approved insert with a full chimney liner would be much safer than my old drafty open masonry fireplace, so thought maybe it would all wash in the end. Nope.
Reason I was given by the insurance agent is that by installing the insert that has a blower and an implied use for heating, they know that I will burn way more than I did with just the old fireplace.

At one time, they had a rating system where if you burned under a certain number of cords per year, there was no increase. Apparently this has changed, because as my agent put it, "We know just about everybody lied about their heating intentions and the amount of wood they were actually burning."

Again, by installing the insert I've signalled that I'm getting serious about wood burning. (Darn straight I am) :coolgrin:
So, up go the rates.

On the positive side, it was a quick 5 minute process and all I was required to supply was a picture of the new install and a copy of the receipt from the certified installer to show it was done professionally. And, as a gesture of condolence, my agent reminded me that I am now operating above board and need not worry if something does happen.....yeah, right.

I had really considered not telling them, but after discussing it with my install tech I decided to come clean because he related several instances where insurance companies had not paid up on a fire claim because the homeowner did not volunteer the updated wood burning info, even though the fire was NOT caused by wood burning issues. Go figure !

Anybody else have a similar experience?

Willhound

Ours is going to go up by $45/year
Massachusetts and it was a little less than $500 for home insurance last year

Willhound said:
$500 !!!

I wish. I'm talking about an increase from $1800 to $2100. Not a realy fancy house either.

Is it an old house? we paid around that for a 75 yr old house.

Our new house is MUCH less.

2100$? how much insurance?2 million?
i have 200,000$ house and goods and 50,000 detached garage for 475 per year from erie insurance, yes that includes 10% discount with 3 auto's
what company?

$2000!
Canadian $$

Thats alot to take but:
How far is the closest fire station?
That is figured in as well as whether or not that station is full time or volunteer

1900 sq foot house built in 1978 assessed value at $129,000, although insurance is based on a replacement cost of $180,000, with 10% or $18,000 dedicated to out buildings and $90,000 based on 50% for contents.
$1 Million liability is included in case some idiot slips in my driveway.

No vehicles included, that's another $2400 a year.

Fire station is 1/4 mile away.

Canadians are the most over insured and overcharged for insurance on the planet.

Willhound

OUCH! man that hurts...

PO Box
No tresspassing signs
No $1,000,000 for falling idiots
How much would it be then?

Thats CRAZY

I Live in New Hampshire and installed a pellet stove, I told my insurance company and all they did was send me later saying that we instaled a suplement heat source and that my rates would not be going up.

Re: $2100/year in insurance. Check your deductible. With housing and construction prices going through the roof (pun intended) we realized last year that our insurance would not cover the cost of rebuilding our home. I had the insurance tripled but at the same time went from a $500 deductible to a $5000 deductible. Our insurance rate stayed almost exactly the same. They know they're not going to hear from us unless something really bad happens.

State Farm has asked us to submit a photograph of the insert and to fill out a form. They didn't say anything about raising our rates.

I would not lie to your insurance company. The experience of homeowners along the gulf coast ought to convince anyone to make sure your insurance accurately matches your needs.

No change for me in Massachusetts with Amica. They just wanted to know that I got a stove permit/inspection and that it was a new (not used) stove. They even kindly sent me a pamphlet in the mail advising me not to burn trash in the stove or light my fires using gasoline. :)

In Ohio: my company just wanted the model number of my stove. I sent them the passing inspection papers anyway. There was no increase in my rates, not yet anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.