1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Effecta 60KW in ALASKA

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by NP ALASKA, Nov 11, 2012.

1. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Hey guys,

Quick update:

Well, the shipping part took some time but the Effecta 60KW and tanks arrived today.

What a nice lloking piece of equipment. Very impressive workmanship.

I uncrated the boiler tonight, had ot put my eyes on the beast. Went ahead and waxed it with some good quality wax. It shines!!!

I will get some pics together and start the connnection of the boiler over the next few weeks. This will take place in between work, family and college at night.

Might take a minute.

Regards,

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. nate379

nate379 Guest

You have burned 62 cords already this season??
  3. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Last year by around Jan I was up to that point.

I un-installed the smoker this summer and never looked back. After burning upto and over 70 cord per winter and doin it for 7 years I had my fill of that life. I turned to technology and love where I am headed.

I have 4 buildings
    House
    Shop
    2- business building (dog boarding/grooming facility)
    Total of over 11,000 sq ft.

I installed a Titan II Coal boiler in the place of the OWB this summer. Much cheaper fule than wood and its easier work. I am currently heating all 4 buildings with it.

I had purchased an Effecta 60KW months before the coal boiler, but with the lag time of getting it from Sweden and finding a reasonable carrier from Mich to Alaska it just got here yesterday.

When I made the connnections for the coal boiler I also put in the connections for the Effecta which will heat the house only. The ball valves made this pretty easy, once the Effecta is hooked up I will open BV for it and close BV ofr the cola boiler side.
    Blow out the lines undergorund to the coal boiler that way it is always an option if needed.

SO the end result is 3-building on coal and the house on wood pellet combo with the Effecta.

I couldnt give up wood all together, and the amount needed for the Effecta is nothing to what I have been doing which makes it rather enjoyable again.

Regards
  4. BravoWhiskey

BravoWhiskey New Member

Loc:
    NY Southern Tier
    Not to sidetrack the thread, but just googled the Titan II, sounds like that particular type of boiler became quite a political bootbal up your way. Hope you don't become a casualty of the "war on coal."
  5. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    You know we need pictures of everything. :)
  6. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    The Titan had some strong oposition up here. On thing they did not count on was the dealer spending the money to truck and brand new unit and 2 ton of coal from our local pit. The sent it to omni labs in oregon.
    This thing runs cleaner than my oil boiler. There is a video on utube of one less than a mile from my place. I studied this one before taking the plunge. It was an easy decision and didnt cost me much at all. They wanted me to stop using my sm
  7. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Smoke wagon bad.
    So i went for it. I will post pics today
    And get started settng the effecta in place

Regards
  8. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    The titan had great reviews and the local gov had no choice to to put it on the approved appliance list after seei g test results from omni
  9. Karl_northwind

Karl_northwind Member

Loc:
    Central Wi.
    I just finished installing an effecta lambda 35 at a client's place. I cant say enough good things about that piece of equipment. according to the display it was running in the 91-93 % range once up to operating temp. The newest testing shows the effecta 35 running 92% and your 60 KW running at 91% wood to water efficiency. let me know if you have questions on setting it up.

cheers,
    karl
  10. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Awesome, that great to hear. I will let you know as I get things going. I am doing my last 3 college courses for my Bachelors. I am doing the work a little here and there.
    I spent about tonight preping for paint. I decided to take a slow approach and make it pretty. I am painting the garge walls, epoxy'ing the floor etc. Want people to like wajht they see.

Thanks agian, Morgan
    lotawood likes this.
  11. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    9-26-12 download iphone 255.JPG
    Home with unit
    9-26-12 download iphone 257.JPG
    Unloading
    9-26-12 download iphone 263.JPG
    Assembly time
    Thank god she let me get the skidsteer a couple years ago
    Gotta love a good woman
    9-26-12 download iphone 360.JPG
    Set in place, stack just finished
    Plumbing time
    9-26-12 download iphone 349.JPG
  12. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Morgan's Phone 037.JPG
    VIBCO
    Vibrator, helps with bridging in hopper
    9-26-12 download iphone 359.JPG
    Getting strated

9-26-12 download iphone 340.JPG

Here we go!!!!!!!!!

9-26-12 download iphone 341.JPG

This is mid burn running full tilt.
    Nothing but a heat signature.
    When we get down below negative 10 or so you see some vapor but it is mostly just that.
    Not much for particulates compared to my OWB. No expert but the nieghbors love me again.
  13. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Headed to work on the Effecta, I willpost pictures later. Gotta pour the concrete pedastal for the unit to sit on.
  14. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Do I have to paint my tanks?

They are ugly, but solid. no one will see them once they are insulated.
  15. BravoWhiskey

BravoWhiskey New Member

Loc:
    NY Southern Tier
    I don't plan on painting my tank. There's a few unpainted mild steel things in the attic of my carriage barn that have been there for many decades that haven't rusted at all to speak of.
  16. nate379

nate379 Guest

Why do so many people depend on fuel oil burners up there if coal is cheaper than wood even? I only know of 1 person that heats with coal down this way.
  17. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    If you do paint your tanks, they will stink quite bad for a while when they are heated.

Not saying don't paint them - just be aware that will likely happen. Mine have mostly stop smelling now.
  18. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Well, all things considered I have decided to not paint them. Expense, time, smell etc all playing a part.
    They will not be seen unless I open insulated wall so I think it is a step not required.

Thanks
  19. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Cant really speak to why oil is so widely used. We have one of the best coal producing mines with a quality that is among the best available.
  20. maple1

maple1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    As far as time & expense go, it only took me maybe two hours with a roller & can of rust paint.

I did spend over twice that amount of time wire wheeling the loose stuff off.

Even though mine stunk for a while, I think I'm glad I did it - but looking back it wasn't likely necessary.
  21. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    Well it was a busy night after work tonight. Got tanks inside, and was able to stack them with my skidsteer. No room to spare, the top tank scrapped the cieling very lightly as it went over to sit down in the saddle that is welded to the lower tank.

I will be able to get some plumbing done this weekend I hope, college course has been kicking my rear.

I will try to post pictures this weekend also.

Regards
  22. EffectaBoilerUser (USA)

EffectaBoilerUser (USA) Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Glad to hear your making progress Morgan.

The 60kW with 4 x 500 gallon storage shipped out to Anchorage on Monday.

This makes 2 Effecta systems in Alaska!

Please post some photos for all to see.
  23. NP ALASKA

NP ALASKA Member

Loc:
    North Pole, ALASKA
    12-1-12 036.JPG
    Painting things bright white

12-1-12 011.JPG
    Truck has arrived, wasted no time unloading

12-1-12 013.JPG
    Strategic location waiting to clear space in garage

12-1-12 055.JPG
    Started bringing tanks in one night about 10pm and 30 below zero. My calibrated eye ball said "go ahead and stack it up, there's room" Well the tank craddle in the forks of skid steer just barely grazed the cieling as it made it over the high point of the craddle and sat right down. Glad she wasnt awake for that one.

12-1-12 038.JPG
    Kids are taking an active approach adn enjoying this event

12-1-12 039.JPG
    Even the little girl

12-1-12 043.JPG
    Pellet hopper together and looking good for those lazy nights

12-1-12 048.JPG

Waiting for buddy to get here so we can slide it off pallet.
    Pellet gun sitting beside boiler.

very impressive construction. I am hapy so far.
    Installtion is going a bit slow with college and work but we will get there.