effecta lambda 35

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy

Nov 7, 2009
Indiana
Hello all,

I'm finally on the home stretch of my long awaited install of my effecta boiler!

I would like to give a big shout out to cebulskig and mark schoellig for helping me with all of my questions/install!

Anyway, in an attempt to give those guys a break, I figured I'd ask this question here first.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my aquastat to work with my pump relay and thermostat.

Right now when the thermostat calls for heat, it turns the pump on fine, but I couldn't get the blower fan to kick on once the aquastat reaches it's desired temp.

So, I figured a way to make the blower turn on whenever the aquastat see's the desired temp, regardless if the pump is on. This causes the blower to randomly come on and off.

Any thoughts?
Pic 1 is my wiring diagram
Pic 2 is the bypass I did to get the fan working.

I guess I didn't mention that I have a wtax.

Ty,
erin

Attachments

• Arron Patton Electrical.JPG
    Arron Patton Electrical.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 194
  • 2016-01-07 12.02.22.jpg
    2016-01-07 12.02.22.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 182
Hello all,

I'm finally on the home stretch of my long awaited install of my effecta boiler!

I would like to give a big shout out to cebulskig and mark schoellig for helping me with all of my questions/install!

Anyway, in an attempt to give those guys a break, I figured I'd ask this question here first.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to get my aquastat to work with my pump relay and thermostat.

Right now when the thermostat calls for heat, it turns the pump on fine, but I couldn't get the blower fan to kick on once the aquastat reaches it's desired temp.

So, I figured a way to make the blower turn on whenever the aquastat see's the desired temp, regardless if the pump is on. This causes the blower to randomly come on and off.

Any thoughts?
Pic 1 is my wiring diagram
Pic 2 is the bypass I did to get the fan working.

I guess I didn't mention that I have a wtax.

Ty,
erin
First of congrats of the Effecta, it is an amazing machine. I had the older style Effecta 35KW (Brian Crawford installed it for me last year) and I upgraded to the new style 60kw this year. If I can help you with anything just let me know. I run baseboard hot water so I am not familiar with the aquastat/blower issue. However in one of my zones I do have one of those small toe heaters that runs a blower off an aquastat. When I installed the shunt valve to run low flow temps the water was still so cool that the blower wouldn't kick on. I changed to the low temp aquastat but in the shoulder seasons it still won't kick in. I do have another zone with a Modine hydronic heater. That one has the blower wired to the thermostat (no aquastat) and I have no issues with it. Looking at your post again, my very non-mechanical guess is that you have a problem with the aquastat or your water temp is too low. Random doesn't sound right, would think it is the thermostat and/or aquastat turning it on and off.

Hello john, I was reading about your install on another thread and it sounds very intriguing. I'm wondering how to incorporate that sort of system and the costs associated with it for my older style effecta?

Anyway, I'm wanting to hook my fan so that when the house thermostat tells the relay to turn the pump on the fan will only come on when the pump has power.

I think I'm getting what's called thermal syphoning? and the aquastat is reading warm enough water temps even when the house isn't calling for heat.

Does this make sense?

Erin

Hello john, I was reading about your install on another thread and it sounds very intriguing. I'm wondering how to incorporate that sort of system and the costs associated with it for my older style effecta?

Anyway, I'm wanting to hook my fan so that when the house thermostat tells the relay to turn the pump on the fan will only come on when the pump has power.

I think I'm getting what's called thermal syphoning? and the aquastat is reading warm enough water temps even when the house isn't calling for heat.

Does this make sense?

Erin
Erin

I am going to pass on the thermal siphoning questions. I am not very mechanical but with Brian's passing I had to take the lead role in getting the 60kw. Sorry I can't help on the cost with the old style Effecta. I have someone from this forum stopping by my house tomorrow who is going to take a look to see if he wants to do it to his existing system (would work with any storage system, this is not an Effecta only thing) and I know he found some stuff online that would do it. If I remeber I will ask him and post the name/model of what he found. I know you are trying to avoid bugging Marc but I would think he has access to such controls and could get you a price (worst case, he or you can reach out to Effecta for you and see what they recommend).

Erin

I am going to pass on the thermal siphoning questions. I am not very mechanical but with Brian's passing I had to take the lead role in getting the 60kw. Sorry I can't help on the cost with the old style Effecta. I have someone from this forum stopping by my house tomorrow who is going to take a look to see if he wants to do it to his existing system (would work with any storage system, this is not an Effecta only thing) and I know he found some stuff online that would do it. If I remeber I will ask him and post the name/model of what he found. I know you are trying to avoid bugging Marc but I would think he has access to such controls and could get you a price (worst case, he or you can reach out to Effecta for you and see what they recommend).
Just noticed I did not respond to the how. I'm happy to connect with you via phone and/or email. Just message me when you are at the point that you want to think about it.

JohnDolz and anyone else who can answer this....
John, You really caught my attention when I was reading one of your posts about your 5000sq ft heating area and you use a effecta. Anyway, I checked it out and can't believe I never read up on it before. So can you tell me, is this basically a load it and forget it type of unit meaning you don't have to be monkeying around with vents and air openings? The computer on top does all the thinkin, all I have to do is load it. Is this right?

Because that's what I'm looking for, and I belive your set up is and will be the same as mine(from reading one of your old posts)all radiant heat and basebords.
The only problem is there aren't to many dealers for Effectas and that worries me, what if I need service and theres only 1 or 2 dealers in the surrounding states. So what would your second choice be if you couldn't get a effecta?I'm looking for a easy and simple wood boiler with a minimal amount of storage just to get started and add more next season. I was leaning twords the Biomass 40 but there's a lot of post on fine tuning and tweeking. And I dont want be spend hours fine tuning everyday.you seem VERY happy with your Effecta.
Any thoughts on a second choice and why would be grateful.
Thanks

JohnDolz and anyone else who can answer this....
John, You really caught my attention when I was reading one of your posts about your 5000sq ft heating area and you use a effecta. Anyway, I checked it out and can't believe I never read up on it before. So can you tell me, is this basically a load it and forget it type of unit meaning you don't have to be monkeying around with vents and air openings? The computer on top does all the thinkin, all I have to do is load it. Is this right?

Because that's what I'm looking for, and I believe your set up is and will be the same as mine(from reading one of your old posts)all radiant heat and baseboards.
The only problem is there aren't to many dealers for Effectas and that worries me, what if I need service and theres only 1 or 2 dealers in the surrounding states. So what would your second choice be if you couldn't get a effecta?I'm looking for a easy and simple wood boiler with a minimal amount of storage just to get started and add more next season. I was leaning twords the Biomass 40 but there's a lot of post on fine tuning and tweeking. And I dont want be spend hours fine tuning everyday.you seem VERY happy with your Effecta.
Any thoughts on a second choice and why would be grateful.
Thanks
The Effecta is absolutely load it and forget it. I travel quite a bit for business and as long as I leave the basement loaded with wood my wife regularly heats via the Effecta. Yes the limited # of people familiar with these systems was a concern for me but when you really look into the good European made machines I think it is really the same for all of them. What I can tell you is that these are incredibly easy to work on. Long story but I did a ton of digging around inside my Effecta as it was being installed and I am 100% confident that I can do any repair if it is ever needed. Let me point out that I am probably one of the least mechanical people you will ever find.

As far as what my second choice would be I really have no idea. To be honest I was shopping for the storage more than the boiler - I got lucky that I ended up with the Effecta. If you read my other posts you will see that I am a big believer in heating with low flow temp water so I would shop for a boiler that has the ability to control at least 1 shunt/mixing valve. You mentioned that you have radiant heat as well as baseboard ( I do not have radiant) so in that case my opinion is a boiler that can control at least 2 shunt valves (possibly 3 depending on how you heat your DHW). This will allow you to run really low flow temp into the radiant, low temps into the baseboard and hotter whatever to service your DHW. All of this happens automatically. You will just need to play with finding the right heating curves so you are delivering the lowest possible flow temp but still hit your desired indoor temps. To do this you simply pick a starting point, let it go for 24 hours or so. If your house is too hot you try something slightly lower, it is too cold you do the opposite. Once you dial in that # you just leave it there. There are numerous manual changes you can make if you do get the urge to play with things but it is designed as a high-end home appliance to be used by the average consumer, no PhD in HVAC required. The other big most have if you want a push button and forget, in my opinion, is a boiler that has a Lamda sensor that automatically adjusts the dampers - this allows you to load the firebox and just walk away.

My last comments are around storage. Storage is where you get your value so I would not skimp or under power yourself. I have 2 horizontal 500 gallons, stacked. If I had to do it over again I would try to figure out how to make vertical tanks, especially if you plan on adding later. Without a doubt there are folks out here with MUCH more knowledge on this than me but I think the consensus will be vertical if possible.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Reactions: Bj1234
The only problem is there aren't to many dealers for Effectas and that worries me, what if I need service and theres only 1 or 2 dealers in the surrounding states.

Don't let that stop you - that doesn't go for only Effectas either. The better boiler names only have very few sellers, some only one for the entire continent. I bought mine from 1500 kms. and another country away, and have no regrets. It would certainly help to have some 'handiness', but I think most issues could be handled by either a handy homeowner, or a savvy local HVAC/boiler service guy. Any extras I got from my dealer got here in a couple of days. Don't pass over the good stuff for stuff that might be available locally but isn't very good.

Reactions: JohnDolz
The only problem is there aren't to many dealers for Effectas and that worries me, what if I need service and theres only 1 or 2 dealers in the surrounding states.

Don't let that stop you - that doesn't go for only Effectas either. The better boiler names only have very few sellers, some only one for the entire continent. I bought mine from 1500 kms. and another country away, and have no regrets. It would certainly help to have some 'handiness', but I think most issues could be handled by either a handy homeowner, or a savvy local HVAC/boiler service guy. Any extras I got from my dealer got here in a couple of days. Don't pass over the good stuff for stuff that might be available locally but isn't very good.
I agree 100%

And on storage - that's one case where bigger is likely better. And it might be a bigger upstep than going to a gassifier from a non-gasser. Bigger means you can go longer between burns, and also means you don't have to worry as much about putting too much wood in for how warm your tanks are, or overheating things. More cushion is a good thing. I am quite happy with my stacked 330 gallon tanks (would like more of course), they stratify quite well. I would go vertical if I had the room for it & could easily do it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it or undertake major work to do it.

Reactions: Bj1234
Thank guys - I'm from northern indiana and the closest dealer is from Michigan (I think). I emailed [email protected] from thier website for pricing on the 35kw. Hope its reasonable. For the guys who own one, is the exhaust pipe a direct power vent like a high efficiency water heater? Or does it have to be vented using the expensive chimney pipe? My boiler set up would be in the garage. Like to vent out the side wall, short and sweet just like a DHW heater....

And on storage - that's one case where bigger is likely better. And it might be a bigger upstep than going to a gassifier from a non-gasser. Bigger means you can go longer between burns, and also means you don't have to worry as much about putting too much wood in for how warm your tanks are, or overheating things. More cushion is a good thing. I am quite happy with my stacked 330 gallon tanks (would like more of course), they stratify quite well. I would go vertical if I had the room for it & could easily do it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to do it or undertake major work to do it.
You said 330 gallons. I like that. Not to bulky . I see from posts a lot of guys go with 500 or 1000. But damn ,those are BIG tanks. How Many sq feet are you heating that allows you to get by on 330g?

Thank guys - I'm from northern indiana and the closest dealer is from Michigan (I think). I emailed [email protected] from thier website for pricing on the 35kw. Hope its reasonable. For the guys who own one, is the exhaust pipe a direct power vent like a high efficiency water heater? Or does it have to be vented using the expensive chimney pipe? My boiler set up would be in the garage. Like to vent out the side wall, short and sweet just like a DHW heater....

Brian passed away last year, unexpectedly I think. Another dealer is getting set up now I think. John has those details.

You said 330 gallons. I like that. Not to bulky . I see from posts a lot of guys go with 500 or 1000. But damn ,those are BIG tanks. How Many sq feet are you heating that allows you to get by on 330g?

2700 sq.ft. 20 year old two story over 1500 unfinshed basement (basement only gets standby heat loss for heat so its chilly down there). On an open windy hilltop.

That's 330x2, so 660 total. Minumum storage should be sized moreso to match your boiler - a minumum would be being able to hold all the heat your boiler would put out from one load of wood. But bigger really is better - gets you the ability to go longer between burns. Most here are likely burning every day in winter anyway - it really pays off in Spring & Fall shoulder season by being able to skip days. But also pays off in winter if you want to go away for overnight, or not worry about overheating things when trying to charge enough to last for a while. I would love to have more, 1000 would be a good match - but it won't fit in my space, have things kinda shoehorned in down there. I can also go a week between burns when heating for DHW in the summer, if I wanted - but since it only costs us $20-25/mo to do it with our electric water heater, I usually don't bother with wood in the summer. Unless I accumulate some junk wood I want to get rid of.

Brian passed away last year, unexpectedly I think. Another dealer is getting set up now I think. John has those details.
Yes, sadly Brian did pass away. He became a great friend, was a great person and is missed by many. That being said Effecta is busy working on building a new and better US network of Dealers. I am NOT part of Effecta so please take what I say with a grain of salt. I know Effecta has a distributor in Boston now. I believe this dealer is working only with Pellet boilers but the plus side is they will be getting containers from Sweden so if someone ever needs it could probably thrown on one of their shipments. On the woodboiler side my understanding is that AHONA is going to be (or already) a US Importer for them. Maybe Marc or Effecta can speak to that directly. I understand the concern around US representation and I can only say that I made the decision to install the 60kw after Brian's passing so I personally was/am comfortable with the situation.

Regarding chimney you will definitely need one. Not quite sure what length you will need. Mine is in the basement and since I installed a condensing propane boiler I had access to the flue that was previously used by my oil burner/boiler.

2700 sq.ft. 20 year old two story over 1500 unfinshed basement (basement only gets standby heat loss for heat so its chilly down there). On an open windy hilltop.

That's 330x2, so 660 total. Minumum storage should be sized moreso to match your boiler - a minumum would be being able to hold all the heat your boiler would put out from one load of wood. But bigger really is better - gets you the ability to go longer between burns. Most here are likely burning every day in winter anyway - it really pays off in Spring & Fall shoulder season by being able to skip days. But also pays off in winter if you want to go away for overnight, or not worry about overheating things when trying to charge enough to last for a while. I would love to have more, 1000 would be a good match - but it won't fit in my space, have things kinda shoehorned in down there. I can also go a week between burns when heating for DHW in the summer, if I wanted - but since it only costs us $20-25/mo to do it with our electric water heater, I usually don't bother with wood in the summer. Unless I accumulate some junk wood I want to get rid of.
I suggest checking with the folks at AHONA. I believe they offer a really nice 400 gallon tank. I sold my 35kw to someone that bought one of these 400 gal. not sure of the outcome. All that being said, I agree more is better.

First off ,Sorry so here about the loss of your friend.
2nd .. thank you for the info, I don't know what ahona is,,but I'll google it.,super stoked about the *set it and forget it* EFFECTA.
If you guys ever think of another unit thar is a "set it and forget it" please come back and post it for me.... really appreciate it..
I was going to,purchase New Horizons Biomass 40/60kw,burner bit I REALLY don't want to fiddle with settings. So Thanks again !

'Set & forget' is not absolute. I think even the toppest of the line Lambda boilers are susceptible to bridging, for example. But bridging is one of those things that the operator can usually avoid with some experience under their belt. Good luck!

Thanks, Brian is missed.
First off ,Sorry so here about the loss of your friend.
2nd .. thank you for the info, I don't know what ahona is,,but I'll google it.,super stoked about the *set it and forget it* EFFECTA.
If you guys ever think of another unit thar is a "set it and forget it" please come back and post it for me.... really appreciate it..
I was going to,purchase New Horizons Biomass 40/60kw,burner bit I REALLY don't want to fiddle with settings. So Thanks again !
Thanks.

To be fair I do not want to say Effecta is the best or the only one that can do this. It is the only boiler I have experience with and am just sharing those experiences.

'Set & forget' is not absolute. I think even the toppest of the line Lambda boilers are susceptible to bridging, for example. But bridging is one of those things that the operator can usually avoid with some experience under their belt. Good luck!
Last year was my first year with burning word. My pieces were cut too big and were too moist - I now have a Masters degree in Bridging. This year I have super dry wood that has a mix of sizes (so I can build the fire small to large). My large pieces are substantially larger than last years but not a hint of bridging because of how dry the wood is.Interesting observation with bridging ( I spent WAY too much time in my boiler room last season). I would get a fire going really good, have about 1/4 load burn, see my tanks get to 170 (I was running really hot water last year so didn't let storage dip too far) go upstairs and come down in an hour or 2 and guess what. The wood bridged, it continued to burn but because of the bridging the output water was at 160 degrees. I was burning wood and actually COOLING my tanks!

This is one of the most helpfull last few days. I got to book mark this thread cause you guys really gave me some good info. Also with the bridging. Very good to know about your experience with bridging. I've been splitting wood for a year already. I guess it wouldn't hurt to cut some other sizes to ..like you said small and large.. thanks guys:)

Have a look at the garn Jr, it can be horizontally vented out the wall with one piece of chimney, 900 gallons of storage and is set and forget friendly

Ummm. I know Garn is really good, but last year when I looked, all I remember was they were SUPER expensive. The Jr. I never looked into though. I'll email and ask for a price, but something tells me ,lots of $$$. Thank you though...

Ummm. I know Garn is really good, but last year when I looked, all I remember was they were SUPER expensive. The Jr. I never looked into though. I'll email and ask for a price, but something tells me ,lots of $$$. Thank you though...
$13,212. For a jr. I'd be more incline to spend $10k or less but something tells me they don't go on sale :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.